Stud welder will not work for my hood - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
that's what I was thinking, no more than I use mine, there's no point in saving them. I've probably used 20 nails in the three years I've had it. When I did use it though, man was it handy.
LOL, as DBM says, I have used BOXES of them. So being able to reuse them would be handy. But again, a personal thing, I don't work this hard to work harder at saving a few bucks. But this is just me, I MUCH, MUCH rather spend an extra $100 on sand paper than an extra day sanding, you know what I mean?

ESPECIALLY at 51 years old! I am doing a complete bathroom remodel at my home. I have spent more money than I ever have on something like this, and we aren't talking marble and gold fixtures. This is a real "common man" bathroom here nothing special. But it is kicking my ever loving ars in work. It isn't my thing first off, I know next to nothing about doing half the stuff I have done in this bathroom. But the extra money I have spent on tools and equipment has helped a LOT. When I started the project (at the plumbing, TOTAL replumbing of the bathroom) I walked into our REAL hardware store in town (not a "McHome" store where they don't know if their butt is bored or punched) and told the guy in the plumbing dept. "I am a professional at my trade and have tens of thousands of dollars in tools, I KNOW what a quality tool or product costs and know how much better it is to work with. Show me what the pro plumbers would use for this job". He showed me all the stuff and I bought it, I bought conservatively AMONG the pro tools, don't get me wrong I didn't just buy the best there was. But I bought pro tools and I bought pro supplies. The difference this made is hard to fathom. I KNOW that I would have worked a LOT harder using the tools and supplies I THOUGHT I would have been using.

Listening to that man and buying those better tools and supplies saved my back from a LOT of work and I am thankful I did it.

If the newbe only knew how much better a quality autobody tool is than the Harbor Fright (yes I spelled it wrong on purpose) Chinese junk tools they would never have bought them!

The difference between the cheap sandpaper and the best is MILES, it is friggin THOUSANDS OF MILES better! Life is just too short to work so hard when it isn't necessary.

DBM, please don't take this post as directed toward you in any way. I am just talking here and it is NOTHING personal or anything like that. PLEASE don't take it that way. We all do things different and look at things different.
Brian

Advertisement

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-29-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

After you clip them off there is no head ,just take the post and bend it about a 1/4' down (making an L) and stick it back in and use it again.You can keep doing this until their to small to bend...You can save a lot of time if you use a vice and bend twenty or thirty at a time and if you use a strip magnet (a 1'' strip of magnetic sign material) to hold them all together its even easier. You dont need a head on the stud to make it work ....
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
After you clip them off there is no head ,just take the post and bend it about a 1/4' down (making an L) and stick it back in and use it again.You can keep doing this until their to small to bend...You can save a lot of time if you use a vice and bend twenty or thirty at a time and if you use a strip magnet (a 1'' strip of magnetic sign material) to hold them all together its even easier. You dont need a head on the stud to make it work ....

Ahhhhhhh, very interesting! I'll be damn, never would have thought of that!

You know, I don't "burn" them in though. When I use the stud welder the stud is BARELY on. I will simply wiggle it and it will fall off.

Brian
Old 06-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

ok i finally checks its aluminum and to make things worse as i was color sanding i burn tru a spot
Old 06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Paisano

Last wiki edit: How to remove an ignition key lock
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel85lx
This is the 2 nd time I try to use my stud welder and it will not work. The first time was on a 2006 Nissan sentra hood I used the stud and it wil burn a whole or the stud would not hold. Now on the door it worked fine. Now for this hood on a 2003 Buick I am having the issue that it will not weld to the hood just leave a small mark on the metal. nd if it does grab it will fall as soon as I insert the puller.

Sure you have a good ground? The underside of the hood sheet metal reinforcemet is usually is glued on on cars built from the eary 70's to now.
Even a little paint on a ground clamp will screw up any weld job,whether a stud or running a bead.And everyone says,hope its steel,and not alloy.
Paisano
Old 06-29-2010, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flyin Wop
Sure you have a good ground? The underside of the hood sheet metal reinforcemet is usually is glued on on cars built from the eary 70's to now.
Even a little paint on a ground clamp will screw up any weld job,whether a stud or running a bead.And everyone says,hope its steel,and not alloy.
Paisano
He just said that it is aluminum.

Brian
Old 06-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flyin Wop
Paisano
The outer ring is ground on a stud welder....its self grounding...not like a mig ...more like a spot welder
Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel85lx
ok i finally checks its aluminum and to make things worse as i was color sanding i burn tru a spot
Been there,Done that,we all have...I've done things much worse but I learned.
eventually...its an easy fix though,you did it once you can only get better...
MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SPECIAL ALUMINUN PAINT!!!!
jus kiddin
Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Been there,Done that,we all have...I've done things much worse but I learned.
eventually...its an easy fix though,you did it once you can only get better...
MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SPECIAL ALUMINUN PAINT!!!!
jus kiddin
you almost gave me a heart attack.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.