Stud welder will not work for my hood - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 10:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Stud welder will not work for my hood

This is the 2 nd time I try to use my stud welder and it will not work. The first time was on a 2006 Nissan sentra hood I used the stud and it wil burn a whole or the stud would not hold. Now on the door it worked fine. Now for this hood on a 2003 Buick I am having the issue that it will not weld to the hood just leave a small mark on the metal. nd if it does grab it will fall as soon as I insert the puller.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Is it aluminum???? see if a magnet will stick to it.
A stud welder on a hood isn't really necessary anyways because you can work it from underneath...Not only that ,the pressure you need to make a good connection will usually make things worse...
Repairing hoods used to give me fits until I figured out that if you cut through the spots where they glue the inner structure to the skin ,the skin will move freely just re glue it when your done hammer & dollying,also you can squeeze thin pry bars in between the the two pieces to push a dent up gently....I use a small air saw ,it cuts through the glue quick and a regular hack saw blade will fit right in my HF air saw,the hack saw blade is very flexible and has a long reach...
about 25 yrs ago I bought a stud welder when they first came out but after using it for a year I found I didn't like it much and sold it...The problem is you have to grind the paint off first before you remove the dent and cant ever get it dead on without the shine of the paint.
For me its way faster and better to use my old fashioned screw type dent puller.I can always weld the holes up if I want.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Exhaust, Filler, and Trailer
Last photo:

Check the hoods with magnet. Aluminum?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:17 AM

Yup ,many hoods these days are aluminum...Therefore you cant weld or use a stud gun...
Old 06-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Believe it or not, the metal may not be clean ENOUGH as well. OR, if you have tried a few times the stud maybe burnt at the end or the metal you are trying to stick it to has been burnt and there is no good "connection" between the two. When you have a stud that doesn't weld on you often need to change it to get one to stick.

Personally, the stud welder is a seldom used tool. It is for very special circomstances. It pulls very little, you often will damage metal more than help it. It cracks me up when I see guys use this tool BURNING the stud in then janking it off the metal leaving a hole. Crap, they might as well be using the old slide hammer with a screw on the end and save the money of the stud welder.

On that hood you can probably get it from the underside. Sometimes this takes a long tool from a hole in the inner structure.

Brian
Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 AM

Brian has raised a good point some of these E-coats must be completely ground off for a stud gun to grab it they're very hard to weld well ,also it'll splatter everywhere and burn through.there very hard to see and you wouldn't even know they're there but when you grind it off there's a slight color difference.
One thing though .....the sides use the same treatment so if the stud sticks to the sides it'll also stick to the hood....but until you try to stick a magnet to it to know for sure ,its anybodies guess,but now you have a few ideas on why it wont stick,let us know what you find out...
One other thing about a stud gun ,the tip and the ring around it are electrical contacts so they must be kept clean...almost everyone I see is all boogered up and nasty ...its a wonder they work at all...you may just need to clean it good...
BTW, Mercedes Benz says a stud gun is the only way to properly fix their cars ....I wonder how much they got paid for THAT endorsement????? LOL

Last edited by deadbodyman; 06-28-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

By the way DBM, I'm thinking it's aluminum too. I just gave some other ideas for using the stud gun in general.

Brian
Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 AM

One thing I wanted to try is....If you ever tried to use one on a hood or a weak dent ,the tip is spring loaded so that makes it hard to use but when the metal heats up ....Holy crap ,it really gets worse...So I wanted to jumper a wire across the tip (bypassing the spring) so it 'll make contact without pushing the tip all the way in ...it'll make contact as coon as it hits metal with very little pressure.
I'm sure everyone that owns a stud gun has figured out how to re use the studs, right?????
Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
One thing I wanted to try is....If you ever tried to use one on a hood or a weak dent ,the tip is spring loaded so that makes it hard to use but when the metal heats up ....Holy crap ,it really gets worse...So I wanted to jumper a wire across the tip (bypassing the spring) so it 'll make contact without pushing the tip all the way in ...it'll make contact as coon as it hits metal with very little pressure.
I'm sure everyone that owns a stud gun has figured out how to re use the studs, right?????
Reuse the studs? Never even tried it.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

The way I use them they are barely stuck so they are totally reusable if I wanted to clean them up with a Roloc disc or something. But damn it, they just don't cost that much to worry about it.

Brian
Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
The way I use them they are barely stuck so they are totally reusable if I wanted to clean them up with a Roloc disc or something. But damn it, they just don't cost that much to worry about it.

Brian
that's what I was thinking, no more than I use mine, there's no point in saving them. I've probably used 20 nails in the three years I've had it. When I did use it though, man was it handy.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

lol i keep forgeting to check if its aluminum i keep saying ok get a magnet and go check but then i get carried away on other things. I will check today i need to color sand and buff it out i had the worst clear spray job ever in my life. its so bad i am ashamed to post up pics.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 AM

Way back when I bought mine I used the living crap out of it and was going through bag after bag of studs.....one day I ran out so I picked one up off the floor and bent it at a 90 degree angle and stuck it back in there ....,low and behold ,it worked and held even better than a new one (more contact area)...you can keep reusing them until there's nothing left...
Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel85lx
lol i keep forgeting to check if its aluminum i keep saying ok get a magnet and go check but then i get carried away on other things. I will check today i need to color sand and buff it out i had the worst clear spray job ever in my life. its so bad i am ashamed to post up pics.
LOL,no need to be ashamed......I got a wicked run one time ....on a roof...it was even running down the windshield..and quite a few other monumental monstrosities that a few people still laugh about...
I don't think a wall of shame thread would be a big success but people could learn from it...what do you think ,Brian???
I wish I had a video of the bodyman sitting on the floor pounding out a wheel well towards his face and knocking himself out when the hammer him square in the middle of the forehead....He wasn't seriously hurt but when he woke up and said he did it once before ,we all hit the floor laughing ....some people never learn...

Last edited by deadbodyman; 06-29-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Way back when I bought mine I used the living crap out of it and was going through bag after bag of studs.....one day I ran out so I picked one up off the floor and bent it at a 90 degree angle and stuck it back in there ....,low and behold ,it worked and held even better than a new one (more contact area)...you can keep reusing them until there's nothing left...

"Bent it at 90 degree"? I am missing something here. Are you saying you bent the stud so that the head was hitting the metal different? So that the metal came in contact with the head at a different "fresh" spot?

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.