stumble and stalling problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2004, 12:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

stumble and stalling problem

I just rebuilt my 355 again, the only thing different this time is the piston rings and the ignition. I have a stumble off the line (more of a surge fade surge fade surge)then it pulls hard, however if i back off again and cruse it sometimes stalls out. I am thinking the fuel pump my be bad, it is hard starting after it stalls,i have to crank it a bit then it fires up like the bowls were dry. The pump sat under the hood all winter so i am thinking that being outside might have destroyed the internal components. The ignition is an MSD 6AL box wired as the directions say, timing is 18 initial 36 total. I put new non-stick gaskets in my 650 speed demon like i had last year just to see if i had some sort of leak or gasket shrink.(67s front, 78s rear I think its been a while) . I also replaced the power valve with a 65 like it had. I have replaced the spark plugs with ac delcos. If my coil went bad would it act this way? i am running a race coil ( perf. distributors) and it was used when i picked it up so it might have seen better days. thanks for all your help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2004, 03:11 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

First off do a spark test, if the spark is yellow it`s weak, then you can look elsewhere in the ignition system. But your problem sounds like a fuel one, it sounds indeed like it`s running out of fuel, if your pump has a return line, kink it shut with a pair of vice grips or the like and see if the problem persists. since the Demon has clear sight windows, when the car shuts off, don`t turn it over, hop out and check them and see if there`s any fuel in the bowls, also at idle make sure the bowls height is set correctly, at idle they should be slightly above the half way mark. If the problem is indeed the pump, when you replace it, remember to pack the spring area of the pump with grease, moly lube, white lube or the like, this area of the pump often gets no lube which results in heat ruining the pump.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Sounds` to me, that your carb is leaking gas internally and flooding it. Thats why its hard staring, in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:27 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Could be that the floats are stuck shut not allowing gas to fill all the way to correct level. You can check thru the site hole with a small screwdriner and move them up & down to see if their loose.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:30 AM

After performing all the other checks above, if you still don't find the problem, you need to be sure that the air bleeds are clear and clean in the carburetor...Sounds like the exact same problem I had with my Road Demon Jr. It was loading up real bad and had a real "fat" surge at anything other than around 3/4 to full throttle...Had to disassemble the carb and clean it out real good...Now when I start to get the symptoms, a good shot of B-12 down the bleeds does wonders!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:31 PM

Last photo:

The pump has no return line, and the spark looks good though i may gap it a bit closer. the fuel is at the half way point in the sight glass, I will check the oil and make sure that there is no gas in it, that would not make my day. I picked up a holley red and a block off plate, now to make it legal to drag race again. when i put in the new gaskets i checked the floats and they seemed to be free. i am going to clean out the screens on the carb to make sure no grit got into the line over the winter,and I think i will add another filter before my pump. I will have to try spraying down the air bleeds and see if that helps. im hoping this will clear up tomorrow, its nice and i want to take it on the main roads and get some easy miles on it with out worrying about stalling somewhere. thanks for the replys.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:37 AM

Last photo:

ok new fuel pump is in and at least i know when its working now. although my exhaust drowns out all fuel pump noise you get just a hint of it. The ignition must be my problem, it stalled today and wouldnt start it acted flooded but wouldnt respond like a flooded engine would. or a starved engine for that matter. it just cranked and randomly fired and popped. then it ran like it wasnt burning the gas all the way. it sounded muffled and airy like it was burning old gas. then it started to really hesitate and surge, from almost dieing to burning the tires then randomly in mid cruse would stall again. then start right up( after hitting the key) like the spark cut out. I have the coil ground grounded to the firewall, going to put it to the batt. tomorrow and then im going to look in the cap see if its tracked up, then im going to replace the coil with a stock one. if all else fails i will put in my stock module and see if its all in the box. if so i am going to go crazy. my old plugs were fouled out when i changed them so its acting like its not getting good spark. does it matter if i am using vac advance? could that move my mag. pickup wire into the side of the distributor and ground it out? Im not too familiar with this computer stuff. I know all the after market plug and go wiring harnesses say not for use with vac advance. also my tack works but it moves erratically around 2000 + and when the engine acts up it goes crazy. if any other info is needed just ask im in need of some other ideas. thanks
Old 04-03-2004, 03:43 AM

Last photo:

do you have an engine to frame ground?If not,why not?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:03 PM
2 much power is almost enough

Last photo:

check your valves... i had this same exact thing happen to me..... i adjusted my valves and bam it was gone. just a thought.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

yea i have a ground strap i will have to check and see if it is making good contact. I am running a hyd. cam and it is set with the push rods snug so they dont move up and down but will still spin, then a half a turn more. I will check them again though. I worked a 12 hr day and havent had time to even lift the hood maybe i'll wake up early enough to work on it. thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.