stumbling in high gear, low RPM , sounds like metal and rocks - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

cool deal
I got the distributor play resolved, for now atleast -
I added another gasket for some space

However, I can hear this weird rattling sound coming from my exhaust
I looked around a bit to see if something is loose, and I cant find anything. It really sounds like the rattling is coming from inside my engine

Something else, dunno if this is normal or not,
but I took my valve covers off to check my rockers, they sounded noisy , so I adjusted them, but theyre just noisy ( Scoropion roller rockers) from what ive heard

And I noticed some small bubbling at a few of my head bolts... like small bubbles coming through my head bolts... is that water escaping from my water jackets thrgouh the head bolts???

I didnt retorque my head bolts after I installed and torqued my heads...

For the timing, I had tuned my timing down to 18* or so base timing, and had a total of about.. hmm 35*ish total.. which eliminated my detonation we talked about earlier

But, when i stepped on the gas, it TOTALLY hesitated and wouldnt even spin the tires.
So I pulled over, advanced my dist. a little, and wala perofrmance was back.
ZCame home and checked timing - its about 21* base and 39*-40* total...

is that too high? Fbird emphasized 36* max.. but theres no power with 36* max..

what should my vacuum be?

ahh all this crap

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean-Angler
cool deal
I got the distributor play resolved, for now atleast -
I added another gasket for some space

However, I can hear this weird rattling sound coming from my exhaust
I looked around a bit to see if something is loose, and I cant find anything. It really sounds like the rattling is coming from inside my engine

Something else, dunno if this is normal or not,
but I took my valve covers off to check my rockers, they sounded noisy , so I adjusted them, but theyre just noisy ( Scoropion roller rockers) from what ive heard

And I noticed some small bubbling at a few of my head bolts... like small bubbles coming through my head bolts... is that water escaping from my water jackets thrgouh the head bolts???

I didnt retorque my head bolts after I installed and torqued my heads...

For the timing, I had tuned my timing down to 18* or so base timing, and had a total of about.. hmm 35*ish total.. which eliminated my detonation we talked about earlier

But, when i stepped on the gas, it TOTALLY hesitated and wouldnt even spin the tires.
So I pulled over, advanced my dist. a little, and wala perofrmance was back.
ZCame home and checked timing - its about 21* base and 39*-40* total...

is that too high? Fbird emphasized 36* max.. but theres no power with 36* max..

what should my vacuum be?

ahh all this crap
The better performance is coming from the increased initial timing, not the total timing. Limit the total to give you 36 degrees or so, with whatever initial timing that gives you the best performance.

Are you using a vacuum advance? If so, you're in the area where ported vacuum will prolly work better than manifold vacuum unless you are determined to tune it to work w/manifold vacuum.

Edit- The head bolts need to have sealer applied to the threads, that's likely where the seepage is coming from. Re-torquing the heads might help. Or not.

Vacuum is dependant on a few things, but the more radical the cam, the less vacuum you'll have.

Last edited by cobalt327; 06-25-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The better performance is coming from the increased initial timing, not the total timing. Limit the total to give you 36 degrees or so, with whatever initial timing that gives you the best performance.

Are you using a vacuum advance? If so, you're in the area where ported vacuum will prolly work better than manifold vacuum unless you are determined to tune it to work w/manifold vacuum.

Edit- The head bolts need to have sealer applied to the threads, that's likely where the seepage is coming from. Re-torquing the heads might help. Or not.

Vacuum is dependant on a few things, but the more radical the cam, the less vacuum you'll have.
I had used the sealer on the bolts, maybe I didnt use enough..?
so your guess would be that the small bubbling is air/water escaping going uip the bolt..?

Its a non vacuum advance MSD btw
Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean-Angler
I had used the sealer on the bolts, maybe I didnt use enough..?
so your guess would be that the small bubbling is air/water escaping going uip the bolt..?

Its a non vacuum advance MSD btw
That would be my guess, yes.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.