Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Stumped on this part?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 12:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Handy7rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljose49
Im about to head out and check that Richie, thnx. Does it have to be exactly 12? I removed the first plug with wire, and im getting spark, and fuel. Even changed the cap/coil assembly. Both caps were firing good less than a week ago. But still, nada. Maybe my timing is way off? TDC? I tried following the steps vizard says. Had a wire down the 1 cylinder to feel the piston going up and down, was checking the intake rocker for motion, front balancer mark was close to zero on timing tab. Then rotate the oil pump shaft so its approximate to 5's rockers/pushrods, mark and get the distributor and cap aligned, install and rotor should point towards 1. But we could never get the damn dist to sit with the pump shaft in this position, so I rotated it off pointing to 5's rockers and sure enough it finally sat down properly and pointed towards cylinder 1. But the engine just spins.
Forget pointers for a minute.Take out number 1 spark plug and with half inch drive ratchet turn engine at 5/8" balancer bolt slowly till you HEAR COMPRESSION STARTING TO BUILD.NOW YOU SHOULD BE NEAR tOP DEAD CENTER ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE.cHECK BALANCER TO SEE IF ITS COMONG TO zero on balancer.If so or just close ,slightly turn engine to ZERO and set distributor in.If it is not pointing a number 1,Remove distributor and turn oil pump rod at bottom of distributor with long flat head screw driver until distributor sits in pointing at number 1,then turn distributor about one quarter round COUNTER CLOCKWISE .The motor Will start in this position ,Then you'll need to check timing with light .Timing will probably be slightly high at this point .If not set to 8 or 10 degrees advance on harmonic balancer.Then check at 2000 RPM and set to 34 degrees total advance. I have found this to work when all else fails. Good Luck, Handy7rick@yahoo.com