Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Stumped on this part?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 09:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What weight oil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljose49
Thanks Handyrick, Finally got the truck going. My timing was way off. Had to give the distributor a 180, and she it finally fired up. Wouldnt stay on much tho, but Had the fuel filter changed and it runs great now! I do however have another inquiri. I had heard somewhere to get better mileage itd be best to run with a lighter weight of oil. Id like to switch to synthetic, but whats a safe weight to use? I got 5w 20. Weve always used 10 30, but like I said Id like to try something leaner, see what happens.
Handy7rick here again.Reguarding oil weight,I have found that Synthetic oils will not stay in all engines,Sometimes even new rebuilt ones.Therefore, I always try the heavier weight of Synthetic, especially in V 8s,(10w30) being the thinnest .It still circulates better than conventional oil especially in Winter or Cold weather as Synthetic doesnt thicken at extreme Cold below Freezing.You still get less friction with Synthetic at most any weight.Some or many Hot Rods need 10w40 Synthetic to stay in at high RPMS.That weight is hard to find in Full Synthetic. 5w20,5w30 and 10w30 are most common Weights found in Full Synthetic,It even comes in 0 weight.I use Walmart or Advance or O'rielly brand Synthetic oil with much success.Walmart Super Tec Full Synthetic is most reasonable Priced (about $20.50 for 5 Quart Bottle) except when O'reilly auto parts has their Store Brand Full Synthetic on Sale at $ 3.49 per quart.I hope this helps you decide.Happy Hotrodding,handy7rick. By the way the number 7 as in the bible is the number for completion as God created the World in 6 days and on the 7th day He Rested.