Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Stumped on this part? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/stumped-part-217097.html)

ljose49 03-22-2012 08:57 AM

Stumped on this part?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, I just received my block from the machine shop, fully rebuilt. It did however needed to have a few items installed personally. The oilpan, oilpump, intake , exhaust etc. However in a small box included all the hardware that went with the pieces needed to be placed back on. Im stumped on this tube however???? :confused: Was it accidently thrown in
? Its not the dipstick tube, and Im too embarassed to call and even ask, so any help would be awesome.

FmrStrtracer 03-22-2012 09:02 AM

Bottom end of a dipstick tube.

68NovaSS 03-22-2012 09:05 AM

You don't say what motor this is, but with the flare on one end, I would say it is a dip stick tube. Maybe yours was still serviceable, so they tossed it into the box.

ljose49 03-22-2012 09:06 AM

So is this absolutely necessary to install if my dipstick tube is securely mounted? Ive already placed the oil pan gasket on. Thanks for the quick response.

ljose49 03-22-2012 09:09 AM

Thnx 68 Nova. Perhaps? Its a 350 out of a 75 suburban. Ill post up picks later! Yea have the father biting his nails about me even installing ANY parts. Thanks again. Would you say Its needed then?

Richiehd 03-22-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljose49
Thnx 68 Nova. Perhaps? Its a 350 out of a 75 suburban. Ill post up picks later! Yea have the father biting his nails about me even installing ANY parts. Thanks again. Would you say Its needed then?

Chevrolet wouldnt have used it if it wasnt necessary. It keeps the dipstick from getting tangled up with the moving parts in the motor. Pull the dipstick out and this goes down in the hole in the block, then put the dipstick tube back in.

ljose49 03-22-2012 12:50 PM

Thnks for all the info guys. Ill see if this is doable, as I checked it earlier and the dipstick tube doesnt quite fit into this piece. Might need a little adjustment so that its a snug fit. ? .

Richiehd 03-22-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Thnks for all the info guys. Ill see if this is doable, as I checked it earlier and the dipstick tube doesnt quite fit into this piece. Might need a little adjustment so that its a snug fit. ? .

It wont. Drive the tube down in the hole until the lip seats about one inch below the block. Then drive the dipstick tube in behind it. Put a little silicone sealer around the lip.

ljose49 03-26-2012 09:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Richie thnx for the advice, had it installed before I threw the block in. Heres a pic of the truck. Still need a few more hook ups, and since this truck was purchased in Cali in 84, its got tons of smog equipment. Im a bit concerned tho. THe trucks original carb was electronic, and on the distributor theres a 4 prong/grommet that controls the ESC. This wasnt reconnected since the block now in the truck is out of a 75, and with the original 4barrel carb it carried as well as the vaccuum advance distributor. Tried cranking it last night just to see and hear how the rebuild came out, and It just keeps turning. Been reading on checking for spark on old posts, so today thats my mission, but would it have something to do with the ESC thats no longer connected? By chance does anyone have a link to the wiring diagram ? Haynes isnt much help. Thanks, Jose.

Richiehd 03-26-2012 10:33 AM

Got 12 volts at HEI ? while cranking?

ljose49 03-26-2012 11:24 AM

Im about to head out and check that Richie, thnx. Does it have to be exactly 12? I removed the first plug with wire, and im getting spark, and fuel. Even changed the cap/coil assembly. Both caps were firing good less than a week ago. But still, nada. Maybe my timing is way off? TDC? I tried following the steps vizard says. Had a wire down the 1 cylinder to feel the piston going up and down, was checking the intake rocker for motion, front balancer mark was close to zero on timing tab. Then rotate the oil pump shaft so its approximate to 5's rockers/pushrods, mark and get the distributor and cap aligned, install and rotor should point towards 1. But we could never get the damn dist to sit with the pump shaft in this position, so I rotated it off pointing to 5's rockers and sure enough it finally sat down properly and pointed towards cylinder 1. But the engine just spins. :confused: :mad:

ljose49 03-26-2012 12:14 PM

Ok something is definetely not right. I removed the right bank valve cover and no oils coming out from the pushrods. The engines been cranked over enough times, Ive manually rotated it to find TDC, freshly rebuilt, new oil pump... what gives? ANy help would be great.

ljose49 03-26-2012 03:47 PM

Hey just wanted to say thanks for all the help, finally got her running. Still gotta hook up little misc items, but I backtracked and reinstalled the distributor after I found TDC. Must have been a little off because the rotor was pointing directly opposite of piston 1. Thanks!

American Muscle 03-27-2012 03:21 AM

Is that a hi po engine rebuild or a overhaul. Wht year is your chevy? I have an 86 and just love those body styles.

cobalt327 03-27-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Hey just wanted to say thanks for all the help, finally got her running. Still gotta hook up little misc items, but I backtracked and reinstalled the distributor after I found TDC. Must have been a little off because the rotor was pointing directly opposite of piston 1. Thanks!

If it has a four wire connector on the distributor, connect the green and black wires together on the distributor side. This will bypass the electronic spark control; it's not needed in your application.