stupid Q. TH350 + TH400 use same flexplate? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2003, 01:38 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Talking stupid Q. TH350 + TH400 use same flexplate?

damned sure they do. i know the converters, driveline, crossmembers are different, just wondering if i should be changing the flexplate as well cause i'm not planning on it. thnx! shifter cable should be the same too yeah?

it uses a bigger converter @1"bigger in diameter but i guess you could use the smaller one out of a th350, beats me. doesnt matter to me right now cause i got the one the th400 came with, so i am good to go i am putting the larger converter on the same flex plate the smaller one was on, so i hope the bolt pattern is the same.

Advertisement

Last edited by bullheimer; 12-22-2003 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2003, 03:50 PM

Last photo:

Th350 and 400 use the same flexplate and converter.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

maybe its the balancer thats different, but I thought I was told I needed a flet plate to go with the crank when I put a 400 sbc crank in a 350sb engine?? not sure though. Might want to check with your local engine builders to be safe.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 12-22-2003, 04:02 PM

The th350 and th400 use the same flexplate. A 350ci ad 400ci engine use different flexplates and balancers due to the internal vs external balancing.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool flexplates

First, the original converters to the T-350 and the T-400 are not the same size or bolt pattern size as you have noticed. The converters will inter change between the trannys since the splines and hubs are the same sizes.

Flexplates some times have a dual pattern on them for the different converters, sometimes not. Some flexpaltes have six holes of the same spacing for a 6 lug/bolt converter application.

THe original T-400 converter is larger and has a larger bolt pattern for the flexplate as you noticed.

You need to do a visual inspection and measure the pattern for the flexplate and the converter of the T-350 if you wish to install the smaller converter.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

Crosley you are correct I was only talking about the converter fitting the tranny. It is true they have a different bolt pattern. Most aftermarket flexplates have dual patterns to fit both.

I don't know why I said they use the same flexplate, I guess that's what happens if you don't eat breakfast. 400 flexplates are NOT the same as the 350 engine. 400 are externally balanced and 350 is internally balanced (400 flexplate has a weight on one side of it.)

For some reason I was under the impression you were talking th350 and th400 (transmissions not 350ci and 400ci ENGINES) If you are talking transmissions th400 and th350 will accept the same converter and flexplate.

Wait if he is just changing from a th350 to a th400 he will not have to change the converter or flexplate. That is what I thought the question is, correct? (is that the question)

"stupid Q. TH350 + TH400 use same flexplate?"

since they are both prefixed with TH that means he is talking about turbo hydramatic, which in this case would be the transmission. I did NOT mispeak earlier, if that is truly the question.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

flex plates( flywheel)

85 and up 350 engines are weighted on the flywheel lets get up with the times here
Old 12-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

I think we got away from the OE question.

the T-350 converter will work in the T-400. So I guess the correct answer is use the same converter that will bolt to the flexplate/flywheel.

I was trying to point out that not all flywheels have multi patterns. Perjhaps I need to not elaborate an answers too much

I just swapped converters on a 68 Hurst/Olds with a T-400. I did a T-400 size stall converter on the car so I did not have to remove the flywheel and drill it for a smaller converter bolt pattern.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.