Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Stupid question of the day, DA glue? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/stupid-question-day-da-glue-235517.html)

MARTINSR 07-31-2013 09:22 PM

Stupid question of the day, DA glue?

I have a crap load of old da paper (and long for for that matter) that has no adhesive from the days when you sprayed it on (or before that it was in a tube, yes I am old!) does this glue still exist? I just went thru a 3m catalog, nothing.

I just googled it the key words DA glue sandpaper and got nothing, I am thinking it's gone for good. I will have to get creative. :mwink:

Brian

35prog 07-31-2013 09:30 PM

glue

Brian I too am old enough to remember the glue on days. I would try some super 77 (very light) I may just work!! (it won't hold upholstery) :D:D

MARTINSR 07-31-2013 09:32 PM

I thought Super 77 was the strong stuff? I think I have some out there, I'll check it out.

Brian

69 widetrack 07-31-2013 11:21 PM

Are you sure that 3M doesn't make it anymore? I'm pretty sure they do. I do a have story...I know...not again...but anyway. Years ago i had an 8 inch sanding pad and not unlike the paper that you have, the paper that I had needed that glue...I was out and had to get the job done...Now, it's middle of summer in Canada and the bugs where horrid, I had a box of those fly strips in the shop so that I could control the insect problem to some degree...well, I took one of those fly strips, they are sticky on both sides, cut it up and stuck it to my sanding pad and the paper hung on as good as if I had glue and one application lasted for about 6 sheets of paper...the cool thing was that it was easier to clean than the glue, just peel the fly strip off and put on a new one.

Proof that necessity is the mother of invention...or in this case the distant uncle of improvisation.

Don't know if this helps you Brian, don't know if you can buy those fly strips anymore either.

Ray

dinger 08-01-2013 12:17 AM

Google

Look under feathering disk adhesive, there's quite a few. 3M makes the best stuff, IMO, I bought some at my paint supplier. Summit carries the stuff: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRM-8051/

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 08-01-2013 06:09 AM

As I have many packages of the plain back stuff due to an auction win years ago.

I just bought a spray can of adhesive from NAPA last month. Not 3M adhesive, is red in color

gearheadslife 08-01-2013 06:18 AM

don't they have the velco pads out in cali.

MARTINSR 08-01-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinger (Post 1700338)
Google

Look under feathering disk adhesive, there's quite a few. 3M makes the best stuff, IMO, I bought some at my paint supplier. Summit carries the stuff: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRM-8051/

LOLOLOLOL, Dan, thank you so much, this cracks me up! Like the discussion about people posting questions "they could easily find with a search" I wasn't using the right search words! LOLOL, Feathering disc adhesive, not "DA glue" LOLOL This is funny stuff!

When I went to your link and saw that tube I just about fell off my chair, "Feathering disc adhesive" LOLOL my God I must have squeezed the last drip out of a dozen cases of that stuff! LOL

THANKS! :thumbup:

Brian

69 widetrack 08-01-2013 09:48 AM

Yes Brian, when I read Dan's post....I just thought damn, why didn't I remember the right name for "DA glue"...LOL...had no trouble remembering fly paper though...LOL

Ray

MARTINSR 08-01-2013 10:10 AM

Here is a perfect example of why we can't give someone a hard time for asking a question on a forum that could "quickly be found in a search". I have been in this business 35 years, used untold amount of those damn tubes of "da glue" and then when it went to spray, WHOOO HOOO, then onto self adhesive and then velcro! I did a search, I looked through my 3M catalog using the index and then thumbing through it, saw nothing!

I waste everyone's time here posting on something that could have easily been found in a search. :rolleyes:

Brian

69 widetrack 08-01-2013 10:27 AM

Brian, I just got a PM from Kelly, he's already forgiven you...just kidding...it was a phone call...LOL.

Not to worry, of all the guys that read your thread, myself included, only Dan remembered "feathering disc adhesive".

We won't be forgetting that name anytime soon.

Ray

MARTINSR 08-01-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1700465)
Brian, I just got a PM from Kelly, he's already forgiven you...just kidding...it was a phone call...LOL.

Not to worry, of all the guys that read your thread, myself included, only Dan remembered "feathering disc adhesive".

We won't be forgetting that name anytime soon.

Ray

As I said before to Kelly, I am not busting his bawls ( like how I got past the censor on that on? :D ) I have seen that brought up many times, he is just the latest that's all. We are all just talking, giving opinions. I just find it so funny as I read Dan's post like a slap to the forehead, my God how could I possibly be so far off in my search! A simple search for a simple product yet I came up with nothing because I was using the wrong key words.

Brian

timothale 08-01-2013 06:31 PM

hair dryer ?

some of my old paper is curling, I use a hair dryer type heat gun to warm then up, get the glue soft and It sticks.

carolinacustoms 08-02-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1700481)
As I said before to Kelly, I am not busting his bawls ( like how I got past the censor on that on? :D ) I have seen that brought up many times, he is just the latest that's all. We are all just talking, giving opinions. I just find it so funny as I read Dan's post like a slap to the forehead, my God how could I possibly be so far off in my search! A simple search for a simple product yet I came up with nothing because I was using the wrong key words.

Brian

Geez Brian, do I have to tell you everything? All you have to do is staple the paper to the DA pad............... :D

And for the record I take no offense to anything said on this forum. I don't agree with everyone all of the time, but we all have opinions, and preferences. I have found that a few people seem to be very defensive (the "I'm right and everyone else in the world is wrong, because I am the only one that can do it right and my way/work is perfect" type), but to me it is all about the diverse information you can get from different people with different methods.:thumbup:

Kelly

gearheadslife 08-02-2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinacustoms (Post 1700720)
Geez Brian, do I have to tell you everything? All you have to do is staple the paper to the DA pad............... :D

And for the record I take no offense to anything said on this forum. I don't agree with everyone all of the time, but we all have opinions, and preferences. I have found that a few people seem to be very defensive (the "I'm right and everyone else in the world is wrong, because I am the only one that can do it right and my way/work is perfect" type), but to me it is all about the diverse information you can get from different people with different methods.:thumbup:

Kelly

but but he should've just used a simple google search..
no??????????????:spank::pimp: