Stupid question of the day, DA glue? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Stupid question of the day, DA glue?

I have a crap load of old da paper (and long for for that matter) that has no adhesive from the days when you sprayed it on (or before that it was in a tube, yes I am old!) does this glue still exist? I just went thru a 3m catalog, nothing.

I just googled it the key words DA glue sandpaper and got nothing, I am thinking it's gone for good. I will have to get creative.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 PM

Last journal entry: More photos
Last photo:

glue

Brian I too am old enough to remember the glue on days. I would try some super 77 (very light) I may just work!! (it won't hold upholstery)
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

I thought Super 77 was the strong stuff? I think I have some out there, I'll check it out.

Brian
Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Are you sure that 3M doesn't make it anymore? I'm pretty sure they do. I do a have story...I know...not again...but anyway. Years ago i had an 8 inch sanding pad and not unlike the paper that you have, the paper that I had needed that glue...I was out and had to get the job done...Now, it's middle of summer in Canada and the bugs where horrid, I had a box of those fly strips in the shop so that I could control the insect problem to some degree...well, I took one of those fly strips, they are sticky on both sides, cut it up and stuck it to my sanding pad and the paper hung on as good as if I had glue and one application lasted for about 6 sheets of paper...the cool thing was that it was easier to clean than the glue, just peel the fly strip off and put on a new one.

Proof that necessity is the mother of invention...or in this case the distant uncle of improvisation.

Don't know if this helps you Brian, don't know if you can buy those fly strips anymore either.

Ray
Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Google

Look under feathering disk adhesive, there's quite a few. 3M makes the best stuff, IMO, I bought some at my paint supplier. Summit carries the stuff: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRM-8051/
Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 AM

Last photo:

As I have many packages of the plain back stuff due to an auction win years ago.

I just bought a spray can of adhesive from NAPA last month. Not 3M adhesive, is red in color
Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

don't they have the velco pads out in cali.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
Google

Look under feathering disk adhesive, there's quite a few. 3M makes the best stuff, IMO, I bought some at my paint supplier. Summit carries the stuff: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRM-8051/
LOLOLOLOL, Dan, thank you so much, this cracks me up! Like the discussion about people posting questions "they could easily find with a search" I wasn't using the right search words! LOLOL, Feathering disc adhesive, not "DA glue" LOLOL This is funny stuff!

When I went to your link and saw that tube I just about fell off my chair, "Feathering disc adhesive" LOLOL my God I must have squeezed the last drip out of a dozen cases of that stuff! LOL

THANKS!

Brian
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Yes Brian, when I read Dan's post....I just thought damn, why didn't I remember the right name for "DA glue"...LOL...had no trouble remembering fly paper though...LOL

Ray
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

Here is a perfect example of why we can't give someone a hard time for asking a question on a forum that could "quickly be found in a search". I have been in this business 35 years, used untold amount of those damn tubes of "da glue" and then when it went to spray, WHOOO HOOO, then onto self adhesive and then velcro! I did a search, I looked through my 3M catalog using the index and then thumbing through it, saw nothing!

I waste everyone's time here posting on something that could have easily been found in a search.

Brian
Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Brian, I just got a PM from Kelly, he's already forgiven you...just kidding...it was a phone call...LOL.

Not to worry, of all the guys that read your thread, myself included, only Dan remembered "feathering disc adhesive".

We won't be forgetting that name anytime soon.

Ray
Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Brian, I just got a PM from Kelly, he's already forgiven you...just kidding...it was a phone call...LOL.

Not to worry, of all the guys that read your thread, myself included, only Dan remembered "feathering disc adhesive".

We won't be forgetting that name anytime soon.

Ray
As I said before to Kelly, I am not busting his bawls ( like how I got past the censor on that on? ) I have seen that brought up many times, he is just the latest that's all. We are all just talking, giving opinions. I just find it so funny as I read Dan's post like a slap to the forehead, my God how could I possibly be so far off in my search! A simple search for a simple product yet I came up with nothing because I was using the wrong key words.

Brian
Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

hair dryer ?

some of my old paper is curling, I use a hair dryer type heat gun to warm then up, get the glue soft and It sticks.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:44 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
As I said before to Kelly, I am not busting his bawls ( like how I got past the censor on that on? ) I have seen that brought up many times, he is just the latest that's all. We are all just talking, giving opinions. I just find it so funny as I read Dan's post like a slap to the forehead, my God how could I possibly be so far off in my search! A simple search for a simple product yet I came up with nothing because I was using the wrong key words.

Brian

Geez Brian, do I have to tell you everything? All you have to do is staple the paper to the DA pad...............

And for the record I take no offense to anything said on this forum. I don't agree with everyone all of the time, but we all have opinions, and preferences. I have found that a few people seem to be very defensive (the "I'm right and everyone else in the world is wrong, because I am the only one that can do it right and my way/work is perfect" type), but to me it is all about the diverse information you can get from different people with different methods.

Kelly
Old 08-02-2013, 04:59 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
Geez Brian, do I have to tell you everything? All you have to do is staple the paper to the DA pad...............

And for the record I take no offense to anything said on this forum. I don't agree with everyone all of the time, but we all have opinions, and preferences. I have found that a few people seem to be very defensive (the "I'm right and everyone else in the world is wrong, because I am the only one that can do it right and my way/work is perfect" type), but to me it is all about the diverse information you can get from different people with different methods.

Kelly

but but he should've just used a simple google search..
no??????????????

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.