Stupid question. How do you read a mixing cup? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 01:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question Stupid question. How do you read a mixing cup?

I have never painted with a spray gun prior to last Friday. I am rebuilding my 72 Ford F100 and painted the inner fenders and radiator support. I used a cheap equipment paint since I'm not doing a show quality job. I bought a mixing cup, but realized after getting home that I could not understand it. The paint and primer I used didn't need to be thinned. Could someone give me a few pointers or a link so I can figure this one out.

Thanks,
Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

i think you need to get a measuring stick. this has equal parts measurement on one side and ratio measures on the other side for paint, reducer, hardener, it's like 3 rulers with different sized units. Just fill up to each unit, ie. 5 paint, 5 reducer, 5 hardener to get the right mix.

if you're using the equal parts side then if you know that you need 1 part paint and 2 parts reducer then you could fill up to say 10 and fill up the reducer to 30 (10+20).

later,

JB

p.s. you need the correct measuring rule for whatever kind/brand of paint you're using.

Last edited by johnnymopar; 03-09-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:08 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

decide how much paint youll need and find the level mark for it on the OZ scale down the side, then trace it around to the mixing ratio chart youll ned for the product your using (3;1;1, ..... 4;5;2 ect) and youll notice the "scale" under the ratio looks something like this ...... (sorry about the "..........." lines - only way it would keep everything in place when posted to the forumn)

3:1:1
....3 ...........14
.................. 2
...................1oz

need like 18 oz ???

start w/ 15 instead, ... that means your workin w/ the 3 marks on the chart above ....

paint part one (as listed on the side of the can) fet poored to the first "3" mark, part 2 goes to the middle "3" and part 3 goes to the right "3" mark on the scale

if the paint is only 2 parts and its like 3:1, use any scale that says 3:1:1
3:1:2
3:1:3 ect ... the last number doesnt matter when your mixing only 2 parts ... wont effect the measurement

do 2 coats of paint with what you mixed and see if you need to mix a little more (since like in this example we mixed 15 instead of 18oz) this way you wont mix WAY to much paint for a job too ... paints to expensive to wind up mixing like 6 oz to much for a small job

does that help at all ?

~nick

Last edited by lowROLLERchevy; 03-09-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

Nick

Thanks, that explains it.

Bob
Old 03-10-2004, 10:17 AM

sweeet, glad i could help

and don't worry, it wasn't a stupid question to ask either. i worked in a collision shop for 5 years doin everything cept frame work, and there were still times i stood there w/ a gallon of clear coat in my hand, staring at the mixing cup going

and i knew when the other guys i worked with managed to read the cop wrong too .... youd hear the worlds most complete list of obscenities ever put together .... coming from the mixing room, lol

good luck with your painting

~Nick
Old 10-28-2004, 08:34 AM
SoloFabworks

Last photo:

Hi, someone else who is new to paint.
Looking around for the same info and came across this.
Just curious about the last bit.
Say the ratio is 8:1:3, the scale on the cup says 8:1:1 what do ya do?

BTW, thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 09:28 PM

if you cant find a cup that has the right ratio already on the side, you just have to used the simple OZ's graph on the side ...

8oz of part a + 1 oz of b + 3 of c ....

if your going to be doing smaller portions, get the smaller size cups and do 4 / half / 1.5 ...... just do it realy carefully and youll be fine
Old 10-29-2004, 11:32 PM

How about just buying say 3 plastic mixing cups at Walmart for about 79 cents each. I use them for the seperate product and mix in a disposable container.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
“Basics of Basics” Mixing cups
By Brian Martin

Your mixing cup with have a number of sections. These sections will be the different ratios and then there is usually one or two with just a "ruler" with equal parts and then also parts in ounces.

In the sections of ratios you will have a few columns. Find the section that is 4:2:1. In that section there look at the first column and you will see numbers going up 1,2,3,4 and so on. The first column is your "4" where you will add your paint, clear of primer. The second column is the "2" in your 4:2:1 ratio and that is where you will add your reducer. The last column is your "1" and that is where you will add your hardener.

Ok, look that last column and find the number that will give you the amount of mixed paint, primer or clear that you want.

Let's say it is a half a pint and you are mixing in a pint mixing cup. We will say that the middle of the cup is at the number 5 in the hardener column. That is where you finished mix is going to be.

So, you will pour your paint, primer, or clear up the number 5 in the first column (this is in the 4:2:1 ratio section remember). So, you have the paint,primer, clear up to that number 5 in the first column.

You now add the reducer up the number 5 that is in the second column. That number 5 is about one half more than the first column you will notice. It is two "parts" more than the first column at the number 5. You are now with the paint,primer, and clear, along with the reducer up to the number 5 in the second column.

Now you add your hardener up the number 5 in the last of the three columns in your 4:2:1 ratio section and that is it.

Mix it up and you are ready to go.

Remember "parts" are simply equal parts. Be it table spoons or 55 gallon drums, just equal parts.

You could, if you wished, mix 4 tablespoons to 2 tablesspoons to 1 tablespoon.

Or mix 4 55 gallon drums to 2 55 gallon drums to 1 55 gallon drum.

They both would do the exact same thing. Just the same as the 4:2:1 in your mixing cup.

Old 10-30-2004, 11:19 AM
SoloFabworks

Last photo:

I got it now. What confused me is the ratio i needed was not on the mixing cups I have so i figured there was another way to read it. I got it now. Thanks again lowROLLERchevy
Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 PM

Last journal entry: Lancer face lift
Last photo:

and

sorry stupid question here!

my cup reads in mls,im using 5:1 it is split into 3 sections,1st section is for 100ml,2nd 200ml,3rd for 300ml i understand that bit but when i read the inside it reads as follows from A been at the bottom up to C

20-----20%
c------20%
b-----------

a----------

I UNDERSTAND THE A AND BE PART FOR IT BEEN 5:1 mixing ration but what is the 20%???IS IT MY THINNERS?

i am using HS FILLER 3011 AND HS HARDENER 8000,IM GUESSING ITS FOR MY THINNERS!!!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.