Sub floors in rod projects - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Always look up in a custom

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sub floors in rod projects

HI there. New to the forum. I've been doing upholstery for the last 7 years or so. Really into the Kustom look.

I've seen it before and read about it recently in Street Rodder. Does anyone use subflooring when doing floors on street rods? Putting down 1/8" luan as flooring and covering that with carpet? Yes, I can see that it would make fantastically flat, tight and square carpet, and the edging would be nice and crisp. But I'd be worried that someone with a heavy foot would splinter it, or there's be fitment problems with the seat legging.

When I've done carpet in street rods, I use 1/2" jute to build up and sound supression. Then just lay the carpet over the jute like in normal cars.

I'm just wondering if anyone uses the subflooring on a regular basis, and how it lasts?

Thanks,
russell

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 08:47 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

We do this alot in the cars we do, but we dont use wood for fear of warping. We use plastic. I actually just built a false floor in the trunk of a 55 Ford today. As long as the plastic or wood is flat on the main part of the floor, it wont break. I flattened out the trunk in the Ford im working on because it has all the "grooves" stamped in the floor for strength. I filled the grooves with jute, put a layer of jute over the entire floor, then put the false floor on top of that. In the end you get a crisp, super flat floor. We've been doing this for years and have never had a customer "break" the false floor.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:50 AM

Last photo:

HI Shawn. Thanks for replying. I"ve been out to your website a number of times and am totally floored why what you put out. I post at another forum, and a kid on it was "looking for a job." He said he was willing to travel and wanted to go out east to work at a shop...but he was in INDIANA....I told him to walk, crawl, run to your shop and beg to work there (don't know if you hire or not). He had no reason to go elsewhere to learn the craft.

As for the flooring, I have read about it and seen it a bit before. I just saw a writeup in Street Rodder of Sid Chavers doing the magazine's Road Tour car interior. They used the 1/8" luan mahogany on the floor (two sections split down the middle). Obviously they didn't get so detailed as to say how the edging was installed, but with the luan I would sew it on and then wrap it. I guess it could also be stapled. But yes, that would make a very flat, tight and nice carpet set.

And looking through an old LowRider tonight they put 3/4" MDF board in the trunk of a 57. THat would have no worries about warping, but my gosh it would be heavy.

Part of what I run into doing extras like that is my customers having coronaries when you get into material costs. They're cheap, but I'm slowly acclimating them to what it costs to do it right.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:51 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Thank you for the compliment. I will be updating the interior section of my website this weekend, so remember to check it out!

I'm always interested in extra help around the shop, seems like no matter what I do, or how much my helpers and I work, there is still work backing up. I don't recall anyone calling about a job lately. I did just have someone start monday (3 days ago), but she is doing general shop work (assembling and packaging our products, clean up/organize, shipping, etc). I'd be interested in talking to him...
Old 11-08-2007, 03:51 AM
street rods forever

Last photo:

Visited your site....Awesome work,
Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 AM

I don't think I'd even consider MDF on a floor application in a car or truck. Too much water gets into vehicles.
Ever seen what MDF turns into when it gets wet? How about woody oatmeal, real sticky and smelly.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You are absolutely right. There are tons of better choices for sub floor material. Plastics like HDPE, ABS, and PVC would seem to make the most sense.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:17 PM

Last photo:

I'll have to check it again. I saw that buildup in LowRider. They floored a 57 Chevy. The material was covered with Fiberglass resin, smoothed and painted. I believe they were using the MDF just like the speaker boxes and surrounds.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.