Subframe??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 08:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Subframe???

i have a 46 chevy fleetmaster, and was just wondering if there is a sub frame that i might be able to use for it, I and 21 and REALLY don't have the funds for a mustang II clip. I have already been told I don't need to change out the frame, but want a good IFS that I can upgrade with air ride susp. just looking for some suggestions?

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Look at the Nova clips as then may fit that a bit better..of couse there are the camaro clips that can be used..just check the hub to hub measurement of what you have and then off to the pick-a-part to see what you can come up with..

If the clip originally had coil springs putting in an air ride is not all that hard..

Sam
Old 01-26-2007, 09:39 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I would suggest the suspension form a late model Dodge Diplomat/Chrysler New Yorker (same as Aspen/Volare), but you mentioned air ride. Those use torsion bars and would be a bit hard to install air suspension on. The torsion bars mount like a single ended sway bar, and acts as the strut rod. The good thing is the suspension drops out as a unit and can be weleded directly to your frame. My brother just put one in a late 40s F-2 Ford pickup (3/4 ton F-1). He had to notch the original frame a bit toward the rear of the suspension to get it to sit right, but that was all. Should work well under your Chevy if not to wide, and it shouldn't be.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

If all you want is IFS, power steering, power disc brakes, and lowering, then there's a cheap way out. Look into a Chevy S-10, or Ford Ranger frame swap. You can get a rolling chassis for about $200 from the junk yards. The wheelbases on the S-10 are 108", 117", and 122". The wheelbases on the Ranger are 113", and 123". Since you've got a Chevy, the S-10 might work for you. I have the frame dimensions on my website.

My website:
www.geocities.com/lakota_circle_dancer/swap1
Old 01-26-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota
If all you want is IFS, power steering, power disc brakes, and lowering, then there's a cheap way out. Look into a Chevy S-10, or Ford Ranger frame swap. You can get a rolling chassis for about $200 from the junk yards. The wheelbases on the S-10 are 108", 117", and 122". The wheelbases on the Ranger are 113", and 123". Since you've got a Chevy, the S-10 might work for you. I have the frame dimensions on my website.

My website:
www.geocities.com/lakota_circle_dancer/swap1

thanks lakota, thats kinda what I was leaning to but I dont know if it will actually fit I mean the s10 is like 7 3/8" smaller in the rear and 6 9/16" wider in the front?? so I dont know how I could fit that in? Here is a link the the measurments of my fleetmaster, I know the wheel base will work becuse it 116 and 117 so there is nly and in. difference. Thank you for the input, but check out the link and tell me what you think?

http://chevy.tocmp.com/1942_47shop/4247csm201.htm
Old 01-26-2007, 12:26 PM

Last photo:

I did a subframe for my 1947 Oldsmobile. I'm sure you know how similar Chevy and Olds were in the 1940's.

A perfect match for your subframe for that car would be a 1979-81 Olds cutlass / chevy malibu, etc. If you cut the donor car frame just at the firewall where the frame starts to expand towards the doors, and move it to your 1946 frame, it would fit perfect. If you notch your subframe, your 1946 frame would fit right inside it (to the point where you would not have to weld reinforcing plates at the connection of the frame).

It was a rather easy swap on my car, and should be great for you!

Good luck!

~Joe Ferrero
15 Olds
34 Ford
46 Triumph
47 Olds
48 Olds
48 Pontiac
57 Willys Jeep
59 Berkeley
59 Jag
60 Wartburg
70 Nova
76 Electra
78 Jeep
79 Pinto
etc.
etc.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low budget rodder
I did a subframe for my 1947 Oldsmobile. I'm sure you know how similar Chevy and Olds were in the 1940's.

A perfect match for your subframe for that car would be a 1979-81 Olds cutlass / chevy malibu, etc. If you cut the donor car frame just at the firewall where the frame starts to expand towards the doors, and move it to your 1946 frame, it would fit perfect. If you notch your subframe, your 1946 frame would fit right inside it (to the point where you would not have to weld reinforcing plates at the connection of the frame).

It was a rather easy swap on my car, and should be great for you!

Good luck!

~Joe Ferrero
15 Olds
34 Ford
46 Triumph
47 Olds
48 Olds
48 Pontiac
57 Willys Jeep
59 Berkeley
59 Jag
60 Wartburg
70 Nova
76 Electra
78 Jeep
79 Pinto
etc.
etc.

Hey thanks LBR that iss the informationi was looking for I know alittle more of what I'm looking for!! So I guess I gotta go hit up some junk yards in the next few weekends and see what I can come up with??

Thanks again

I'm still open for suggestions if anyone has some!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Most of the time when you find these old subframes or clips there is so much worn out on them for example...ball joints, brake pads, rotors rusted up, calipers stuck, wheel bearings, and seals etc. that by the time you re-work them with new parts you could have just gotten a new IFS cross member from Fatman thats designed to work with your car.....a lot less hassel.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:09 AM

Last photo:

I would put in the IFS. It's much easier and it looks a lot better and you don't need to fab a radiator suppport or bumper brackets.
Bob
Old 01-27-2007, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C
I would put in the IFS. It's much easier and it looks a lot better and you don't need to fab .
Bob
I guess this depends on the look you are trying to obtain. Some people want to achieve a "factory" appearance on a frame. The IFS from the 79-81 Cutlass/Malibu when mated together through notching (as described in the earlier post) actually looks like the fame belongs there.

A Fatman IFS is clean in appearance for that section of the frame, but the mating of the sub frame and the 46 Chevy frame generally requires reinforcing plates at the mating point (which almost always looks like it was added).

As for a radiator support or bumper brackets, you can reuse the 46 Chevy bumper brackets and radiator support. The bumper brackets actually line up with the metal of the sub frame. All I had to do with my Oldsmobile is to make mounting holes on the frame to bolt the bumper brackets and the radiator support on.

Using original parts would allow you to obtain a factory type look, but you know how you want your vehicle. Although both methods are relatively easy, you choose what best suits you.

Best of luck,

~Joe
Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low budget rodder
I guess this depends on the look you are trying to obtain. Some people want to achieve a "factory" appearance on a frame. The IFS from the 79-81 Cutlass/Malibu when mated together through notching (as described in the earlier post) actually looks like the fame belongs there.

A Fatman IFS is clean in appearance for that section of the frame, but the mating of the sub frame and the 46 Chevy frame generally requires reinforcing plates at the mating point (which almost always looks like it was added).

As for a radiator support or bumper brackets, you can reuse the 46 Chevy bumper brackets and radiator support. The bumper brackets actually line up with the metal of the sub frame. All I had to do with my Oldsmobile is to make mounting holes on the frame to bolt the bumper brackets and the radiator support on.

Using original parts would allow you to obtain a factory type look, but you know how you want your vehicle. Although both methods are relatively easy, you choose what best suits you.

Best of luck,

~Joe
Hey Joe, I was just wandering if you had any pics of the welded area where you joined the cliip to the frame? I found a 80 malibu clip for $150 but be fore I go up ther to get I need to see just how its welded up so I know how much to have them cut off at the junck yard.

thanks again
Nick
Old 02-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

I do have a few old Polaroid pics... I'll see if I can scan them in with a description for you. I'm at work right now, so i'll do it when I get home.

more to come...

~Joe Ferrero
Geneseo, NY
Old 02-10-2007, 12:21 AM

Last photo:

I posted a .jpg with some detailed descriptions on the jpg. The photo size is too large for here, so I posted it on geocities.

http://www.geocities.com/oldsmobile1...os/forpost.jpg

It is a free website, so if it gets a lot of traffic, it may not show anything but a message saying to come back in about an hour. If you have problems viewing it, send me your e-mail and I will send it to you directly. If you have questions, feel free to ask. I'll try my best to answer them.

All the best,

Joe Ferrero
Geneseo, NY

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.