subs in cab - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

That is correct, subs require a certain amount of cubic feet of enclosure to operate properly based on the size of the sub. People who do not understand this mount subs just like a regular speaker then wonder why it doesn't sound right.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 AM
BARN BURNING BIG BLOCK!

ill find away i mite take the gas tank out and put it under the bed then i will have room behind the seat.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 AM
GROUND POUNDER

Last photo:

Just slap em behind your seat. if you really are going to do this, you may need some shallow mount subs that can fit behind the seat in your cab. You are also going to need a box that has the correct amount of square footage to have the subs working appropriatley. an amp, depending on the size of the subs and how many, it will vary. for 2 1000 wats is plenty. You also gonna need a new head unit, if you have the stock one... beleive me there is a lot of problems with figuring which wire hooks up to where when you are hooking modern stuff to older stuff. ive done it. just buy a new head unit and this can all be avoided. good luck
Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 AM
BARN BURNING BIG BLOCK!

i need to relocate my gas tank first then i will drop in 1 12inch sony xplod sub with one 1000 watt amp
Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
GROUND POUNDER

Last photo:

you dont have modern head unit? that may create some problems...
Old 03-10-2009, 02:49 PM
BARN BURNING BIG BLOCK!

dude i have a new radio and a amp all i need is the sub
Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Last photo:

Thanks for keeping it civil guys.

Vince
Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
BARN BURNING BIG BLOCK!

ahhh n problemo we r buds we arnt fighting.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Actually there are subs designed to work without an enclosure, they have what is called an infinite baffle design. They are rare, but they do exist. (I'm an x car audio guru). That being said, a sub in an enclosure will always sound better....

And in a cab that small, a 12" running 1000 watts is OVERKILL!!! unless its only purpose is to piss off the neighbors, or impress the buddies standing 100 feet away. A properly tuned 10" (or even an 8" for that matter) will give you loads of bass inside the cab, and you might not go deaf. But I know what being young is about... I had 2 12" running 1500 watts a piece, in the cab of a 86 chevy at one time (SPL competition truck). They were mounted in bandpass boxes in the box of the truck, then ported into the cab... This may be a good option for you, and is one of the only ways to get a big enough enclosure in a regular cab truck. But it does mean knocking a hole in the box and back of the cab, then using the same rubber they use for sleepers to attach the two together.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:59 AM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

If space is really a commodity in your truck and your looking for something that sounds good and your not trying to piss off the folks in the car next to you, you may not even need a sub. Sealing a door with dynamat or some other sort of deadener does a great job of reducing resonance and improving thump. I've got a set of Image Dynamic Chameleons which have a 6.5" "midbass" driver in the doors of a 70 Charger. I put 150 watts to them with an Xtant amp and I would bet money that they can hit 55-60 Hz +/- 3dB up to 90dB or so. The important part is making sure that you've got a good seal between the front and back of the speaker. Soundwaves coming out of the back of the speaker will cancel out the soundwaves coming out of the front if they arent well seperated. You can also google free-air subs for a sub that does not require a box to function properly. They work well stuck in the package trays of cars and are designed to put out volume not sound quality.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastchevy
And in a cab that small, a 12" running 1000 watts is OVERKILL!!! unless its only purpose is to piss off the neighbors, or impress the buddies standing 100 feet away.
What's the point of having a stereo (sorry, sound system) in the first place if you can't piss off the neighbors or impress your buddies..........?!

OFChevy is right, you could do some serious damage to your hearing in a space that small. Remember, an increase of 3db is doubling the loudness of the sound, and an increase of 10db means the sound is 10 times as loud. In other words, 50 db is 10 times louder than 40db. Take care of your ears!

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 03-11-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

My car came with two 10 inch subs. I took them out. It vibrated the car from front to back. Just too much for me. I like good tight bass. What i call punchy bass or more of a musical bass. Most people that do go with two or three 8inch subs. I installed two 8inch subs and it sounds killer. Much better then 10s IMHO. My son installed two 8s in his car and he really likes-em. I had a few systems. One had one 12inch and it sounded good, just not as good as a couple of 8s. The best part about 8s is. You only need a very small box. Box for my 8s is 22X11x6. That's what was recommended by JL Audio. I have one 500 watt amp powering both. Its 250 watts a side. Your ears and taste may very.....

Last edited by Wantabe; 03-11-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 AM
GROUND POUNDER

Last photo:

i have installed about 10 systems. i really like doin it, but i would never consider puttin any in my truck. its just not somethin i would ever consider spending money on. probably wouldnt be able to hear em anyway! my truck has a reputation for bein extremely loud
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

An 8" diameter sub is going to put out much tighter bass than a 12" sub thats being fed the same amount of power simply due to the mass and weight of the cone being moved. Additionally a sub in a small sealed box is going to have much better sound quality and accuracy than a sub in a large ported box.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Bingo DaSouth....

It comes down to do you want loud, or quality, rarely do they meet unless you have really deep pockets....... and hearing protection!! Anything over a 10" that is under $800 is just for loud and nothing more.....

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.