Hot Rod Forum banner

Sudden miss/slight lurch. Need help diagnosing

771 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  64nailhead 
#1 ·
Just finished my 318 rebuild on my 87 D150. Comp XE268 cam, Eddy 1406 carb, long tube headers, factory ignition, torqueflite 904 automatic.
Have driven the truck over the last few days and it runs great. Pulls hard through each gear. Was driving it around last night, putting it through its paces. Everything working as it should. I'm finally heading home and slowing down to turn on my street and it stumbles a little. Like a slight lurch. Was probably doing 15-20 mph. No backfire, no odd noises. It was just the engine skipped a couple beats and then kept going. Chalked it up to a fluke and parked it for the night.
Yesterday I leave for work, truck starts perfect. Warm it up and leave. The skip is back and it happens all the way to work. It would usually happen at lower RPMs in each gear. A couple of skips and then everything back to normal. I get into the throttle more after it would happen and it would pull good and hard, never do the skip again until I was under light acceleration and load.
Does it sound like an ignition miss? Its so isolated to a certain point of driving that I find it hard to believe its that. But I could be wrong. Maybe a transmission slip? Fluid and filter were replaced during rebuild as well. I'm lost on this. It was running so good and now this problem has showed its ugly face out of nowhere. Not sure where to start

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I feel like an idiot but I guess it could happen to any of us. The nut on the postive terminal on the coil had spun its way off. In my haste to get everything hooked up a couple of weeks ago, I snugged the coil terminal nuts down by hand and forgot to finish tightening them down. So the other night when I was hot rodding it around, I guess the higher RPMs vibrated it loose. It finally died on me on my way home from work and wouldn't start at all. Thats when I discovered the wire was off.
Sorry for the big long post for such a silly mistake but theres no way I would have ever guessed that was the issue!

#7 ·
I've always been a Chevy guy but never had anything against Dodges. Was in the market for a square body last year but everyone around here wants the price of Gold for beat up, rusted out ones. So I started looking at Dodges and found this one. 115,000 miles, 2 owner, always kept really good care of it. Practically stole it for $1650. Had several oil leaks, thats what motivated the rebuild.

Attachments

#11 ·
Thanks AutoGear! It is a good feeling to know I own such a good example of one of these trucks. Especially when I pass about 3 of them every day that look like they lived their whole life on a farm. There is a red 86 or 87 short bed for sale just down the road from me at a little car lot that is in about the same shape mine is. Think they want 2400 for it, if anyones interested!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.