Suede and gloss black on a '32 sedan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2004, 08:35 AM
something droll and pithy

Wiki Edits: 0

Suede and gloss black on a '32 sedan

I'm interested in doing a black suede / gloss paint combination on a '32 sedan. Having one paint job under my belt, I'll be doing it myself, so paint cost isn't really an issue. That being said, I probably won't be doing using JDBB for the suede, but regular BC/CC - using a flattening agent in the CC.

I'd like the end result to look like this (the grey represents the suede)

My question is on the procedure. I figure that I'll only need to do a black BC, and will use gloss CC for the fenders, top and logo, and flat CC for the suede portions. To do that, I'll need to wait for the BC to flash and tape dry, then:
- tape off the suede portions
- wet sand areas receiving gloss CC w/600 grit
- clean with water
- spray several gloss coats of CC on hoods, top, and logo
- let gloss areas tape dry
- remove suede tape
- tape off the gloss portions
- wet sand suede areas w/600 grit
- clean with water
- spray several coats of flat CC on suede areas
- remove tape
- buff with wool pad
- polish with foam pad

There is really no way of getting around doing two sets of tape, is there? Especially on the logo. I'm going to be using cut vinyl from a sign shop - first applying the negative portion of the logo to spray the gloss CC, then removing and applying the positive portion of the logo over the gloss CC logo to spray the suede. That is a lot of DETAILED sticker application.

If I simply sprayed gloss CC over the suede CC, it would save a lot of work, but would it be glossy enough? Ive seen a car around Austin that was suede with gloss flames. Has anyone seen this before and know how they saved any time?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

your headed in the right direction. i would base the whole thing out in black, spray the entire care with the matte clear. let the car sit a day or two, mask off for the glossy areas and spray regular gloss clear. remeber if you are going to wetsand and buff the gloss areas you need to be careful not to let the buffer hit the matte areas. you can buff a matte finish to a high gloss with a buffer!!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:21 PM
something droll and pithy

Cool. Good to know, thanks. Doing it that way will save me a LOT of taping time. Not that time is the issue, it is just that that much intricate taping and letter placement (twice) would have opened me up to an error or two.

As far as buffing the gloss in the logo (letters and lines), it seems that doing it by hand would be better, as the pads might catch and tape the tape / vinyl lettering.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.