Suffering from withdrawals... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Suffering from withdrawals...

Just incase nobody noticed, summer is over. I don't know about all Ya'll, but '05 was a real good year for me. I can't remember ever having so much fun this past summer, kickin' it in the '53 and just generally having a better time than anyone my age should be allowed to have. I'm still having trouble adjusting to "Daylight Savings" time. With working those ten hour days, pretty soon, it'll be dark when I go to work and dark when I get home - bummer. Anywhoo, I lit the pilot light and fired up the shop stove the other day and after rethinking the projects I have to get me through the winter, I think it's a doable deal and I'll get through it with a little help from my friends.
Let's see. I need to insulate and drywall my garage, finish up the Neptune gas pump I'm restoring that's almost done, Media blast my '40's traffic light paint it and hang it, and get busy on the Delray again... Then there's taxes and Christmas and rebonding with all those long-lost inlaws.

Can't wait for summer '06
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 10:05 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Ah yes indeed summer has come to an end. Are you getting as much rain down there as we've had over the last couple days up here? It's been WET. I was kinda worried but it ended up being another beautiful summer. Cant beat summers in the Pacific NW.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Yeah, the '67 and '72 are already in storage and the '86 is headed that way. I'm already scanning for winter projects and thinking of a possible part-time winter job.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Ah yes indeed summer has come to an end. Are you getting as much rain down there as we've had over the last couple days up here? It's been WET. I was kinda worried but it ended up being another beautiful summer. Cant beat summers in the Pacific NW.
Yes indeed! I work electrical and mechanical maintenance for a corporate whse. here in Portland and I had my hands full Monday - it rained like a sieve. Management hired roofing contractors to seal the roof and they didn't start the project till just a few weeks ago. These roofing contractors must be from California because all it has to do is cloud up a bit, and they disappear... All this after they've pressure-washed all the tar out of the seams. I've spent the last few days at work answering fire alarms from water getting into the alarm panels and documenting water damage. Man! are these guys gonna get back-charged for our trouble...
They don't call Portland, 'Puddle City' for nuthin'

Oh yeah!! and after I read my property tax statement, I'm thinking of working two jobs too - NOT. I overspent this last summer but it was worth every dime. The good times we all had were priceless! I reckon I'll just offset and cut costs by buying beer at the distributor and maybe reluctantly take on a few car jobs on the side.

Get this holiday thing out of the way and I'll be ready for Old Man Winter to do his thing - bring it on!
Old 11-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Ground Clearance Is Over-Rated

Last photo:

I can't agree more. This past summer was amazing. I got my first truck so I don't have to rock my Chevelle everywhere, crashed the truck 3 times, put a bunch of money into both vehicles and went broke. Definaely the best summer to date. My friends were all getting mad at me because I had a choice of vehicles while most of them were bumming rides. I found out how much fun mud was. I figured out that my favorite noise on earth is my Chevelle's exhaust note at 85 mph under an overpass. I built a vehicle on budget sparing every expense that I posibly could and it didn't even come out that bad. I "totaled" the truck and successfully fixed it for $9 and one day's work. I even won a hundred bucks from my dad when I did this, so it was more than worth it. I made many new friends and went to college in the fall. Now all I have are pictures and memories of both, and I occasionally get to sit in my car and make vroom noises. The engine in my truck got fried, so I put it out to pasture until a later date. Looking back, I wouldn't trade that summer for anything.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

I just have one question, how do you fix a totaled truck for $9?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksixseven
I can't agree more. This past summer was amazing. I got my first truck so I don't have to rock my Chevelle everywhere, crashed the truck 3 times, put a bunch of money into both vehicles and went broke. Definaely the best summer to date. My friends were all getting mad at me because I had a choice of vehicles while most of them were bumming rides. I found out how much fun mud was. I figured out that my favorite noise on earth is my Chevelle's exhaust note at 85 mph under an overpass. I built a vehicle on budget sparing every expense that I posibly could and it didn't even come out that bad. I "totaled" the truck and successfully fixed it for $9 and one day's work. I even won a hundred bucks from my dad when I did this, so it was more than worth it. I made many new friends and went to college in the fall. Now all I have are pictures and memories of both, and I occasionally get to sit in my car and make vroom noises. The engine in my truck got fried, so I put it out to pasture until a later date. Looking back, I wouldn't trade that summer for anything.
you need pics in the photo album
Old 11-02-2005, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Well, I wouldn't call it pretty. I hit a masoned stone wall, basically cement, at 35 mph with my driver's front fender. It demolished the fender, grille, tweaked the hood, busted the radiator loose, snaped my bumper and smashed all the lights on that side. I drove it home, had the hood fly up twice and made it without incident, well kinda. I picked up all the parts and pitched em oin the back. I drove it to my local insurance agent, my dad, before I went home, and he took one look at it, said "totaled" and went back inside. I went inside after him and he had a few of the adjusters look at it and the consensus was totaled. I called my friend with a winch and we took it from there. I took the fender off, stomped on it til it was strait, or relativly strait, and hooked the winch up to the inner fender and pulled it out. I had a spare head light in my garage, and the corner light on my personal parts truck I found in the woods. I also snagged the winshield wiper arms, mine broke when the hood flew up. The $9 was for a turn signal lense at NAPA. I ziptied the grille back together and painted it black so you don't notice. I hooked the hood up to the winch too and yanked that back into place. I used my sweet welding skills to put the radiator back into place. I bet my dad that I would have back on the road by the time he got home from work, and I met him at his truck when he came from work. He gave me the hundred bucks. I was pumped. The truck is a 1986 Toyota 4Runner and the book on it was $800. Needless to say, he was very impressed with my "collision repair skills".
Old 11-02-2005, 10:26 PM

Last photo:

That is funny.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

Pics up in the photo album.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

i am glad summer is over, it's been hot as hell on the coast in nc, but i did play my first game of golf at 55
Old 11-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Summer's been pretty good for me too. Cant say it was the best summer but it was definitely up there in the top 5. Got my first old car (truck) (first vehicle ever.) and learned a bunch working on it, got to help in the buildup of a T bucket which I'll be looking forward to working on again next summer. Had a ton of fun with friends, went to the beach a lot, my 5 best friends and me went camping the last weekend before school started again and it was a bunch of fun, late night hanging out, went to almost every single cruise night every wednesday downtown, got to take my '50 to its first car show, worked 25 hours a week so I had plenty of free time, saved up $4k during the summer and after buying the truck and fixing it up I was left with $1k which was amazing, I packaged condoms for an STD awareness program and made $300 doing that moved into our new place, went trick or treating for the last time last week...oh yeah summer's been fun
Going back to school hit me hard though since it's grade 12 and I gotta make some tough choices about my future now, plus school's a big drag since I have quite a few honour courses.

Ah well, life goes on looking forward to a fresh winter, lotta hockey with friends and tobaggoning and of course icy parking lots for some donut action

Mike
Old 11-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Well mine was interesting, I almost got suspended from school because of bad grades and so I went to summer school and I thought I brought it up. But later I was accepted into an on campus apartment to find out that I was suspended even after they told me I wasn't!
Got a new transmission in my truck, had a blast driving it around and cruising in it. Got the Corvette running again. "Tried" to take both of them to the biggest car show and cruise of the year, but the engine in the truck died. It was supposed to be the first car show for my truck, but didn't make it. The Corvette was alot of fun to have in the cruise when I took the top off, I found out chicks dig guys in corvettes . Then I bought the Corvette off of my parents since my sister decided she wanted an SUV for her first car instead Then when I was buying a new CD player for the Vette at Best Buy, my old supervisor there offered me my old job back. So now Im working 2 jobs, waiting tables and selling car stereos.
Since I was suspended from school, I doubt I'll go back to that one. I might go to a community college and take a few automotive courses.
Id say it was a fun summer.

Brad
Old 11-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Glad you had a good one PM. Hope 06 is even better!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

Thanks 38 - WOW! '05 strikes again! Last night I was playing a little vidio poker at the Motorsport Bar down the street and VOILA! I spanked it for $750.00. Now I can turn right around and pay I-tax with the proceeds. Now the trick is, staying away from those dreaded boob-tube bandits.
If '06 is any better, it'll be the seventh wonder. Anything's possible though, I'm keepin' my fingers crossed.

So Steve played his first game of golf at 55... Well, in another 6 months I'll probably be doin' the same thing. Here's a guy I just might be able to beat! I wonder if we can set up tee-time that far in advance? <chuckle>

Last edited by PrimeMover; 11-05-2005 at 10:04 AM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.