Suggestion on Muncie wide or close - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Suggestion on Muncie wide or close

I need a suggestion on what to get as far as a Muncie 4 speed. I am currently running a new crate 350 Delux with 330 hp. It is currently running a TH350 tranny behind it with a 9" rearend with 3:50 gears and posi. What is the best rout as far as a Muncie 4 speed. The close ratio or the wide ratio. The close ration consists of 2:20 first, 1.64 second, 1.28 third, 1:00 fourth. The wide ratio consists of 2.56 or 2:54, 1.91 second, 1.48 third, 1.00 fourth. I currently have in hand a close ratio muncie and dont know if that is the best rout for shifting and power. Please give me some advice. Oh ya this is all in a 1958 Biscayne.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

muncie

In that heavy of a car with only a 3:55 gear i would 100 percent run the M20 with the 2.52 first gear....A M21 with the 2.20 first gear will kill that car...

Stay away from the M20's with the 2.56 first gear. They are the first gen muncie and they only have a 7/8" counter gear pin..... Unlees they have the correct up grades they are really prone to breaking....

Keith
Old 03-13-2006, 11:41 AM

Can i replace that 1st gear with a lower one? What upgrades are needed to make the earlier Muncie stronger. I know that bearing retainer cap is smaller on those earlier ones. Found that out when I was getting a bellhousing. I needed one that housed a 11" clutch and 168 tooth flywheel. Those earlier ones only house 154 tooth flywheels and 10.5 inch clutchs. Had to get the "621" bellhousing. It has the larger bearing retainer/cap that is 4 and 11/16.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

trans

No you cannot change the first gear. The difference is between the input and the main drive ratio... M20's and M21 use the exact same 1st 2nd and 3rd gears......

The early 7/8" pin transmissions need to have the late model sincro rings with the step installed. This will require 1" wide slider hubs from a late model transmission or to machine the 1 1/8" wide orginal hubs down to 1" It will need a tight case for the cluster gear pin to fit into, or the case needs bored out and a steel bushing installed to get the proper fit back...The side cover will need the detent pin removed and a late model pin installed...And like you mentioned the late bearing retainer is a up grade also... All this work will help the transmission but as a whole it is still weaker then it's 1" cluster pin brother....

Keith
Old 03-13-2006, 11:57 AM

So to check if there is the 7/8 pin compared to the 1" do you measure the input shaft diameter? Also if it is a wide ratio then it would have 2 cut rings in the splined area of the input shaft right? If close ratio then it would have no rings or 1 ring? So basically it is just easier to seel what you have and get the correct one or change the gears in your diff to lower gears. right? What gears are the best with the close ratio muncie? 3:73s or 4:10s? But would my posi unit be able to fit a lower ring gear like 3:73 or 4:10? I think there is a cutoff point where you would have to get a new locker housing.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

trans

If you are looking at the front of the transmission the cluster pin is under the input and to the right. It does not stick out of the transmission...

Factory markings on the muncie are M20's 2 rings...M21's 1 ring.... The problem is that over the years the aftermarket did not always follow this pattern.....

I personally would not change the rear gears... if this is a driver car and you stick a set of 3:73's or 4:11's it will becaome hateful running up the highway at 65mph......

Most muncie guys will let you trade that transmission in on the one you want ( thats what i do)... So you need to look for a M20 or have one built for you...IMO

Keith
Old 03-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Hey Keith,,,, how about the 465 truck tranny? Wheel stand in first, then while trying to grab second you can take a sip of your favorite beverage, then finally onto third and fourth! LOL And its bullet proof!
Old 03-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

trans

L.O.L. yea i had a guy tell me one time he could speed shift one of those.... Some people???

Hey that Q-jet carb has the right first 3 digits on it,,, do you want it when i take it off????

Keith
Old 03-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sure, i'll take it. Let me know when. My wifes Caprice is now 20 years old this year and the qjet has NEVER been off or apart. Pretty good service from it and it still works fine. But it won't hurt to have a good spare built and ready to go on my next boring weekend!

Mark
Old 03-14-2006, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Hey Keith,,,, how about the 465 truck tranny? Wheel stand in first, then while trying to grab second you can take a sip of your favorite beverage, then finally onto third and fourth! LOL And its bullet proof!
I have a sm465 in my 78 chevy pickup 4x4. It's a great tranny for a truck. I really like it. It can be a bear to shift sometimes though. Definitely no powershifting, haha.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.