Suggestions and advice... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Xavier

Wiki Edits: 0

Suggestions and advice...

Bought my 84 Z28 3 days ago. Great car. Straight body. Has some things that need worked on though. Put it on the lift, and the owner before me put flex pipe midway on the exhaust and sounds obnoxious and stupid. Thinking about just getting an adapter, don't have the funds for headers and full exhaust kit yet. All the money went towards the car, a 350 block (that still needs clearanced), 383 keith black crankshaft, KB rods, and KB pistons. All forged 4340 steel (I think that parts right). The wiring is a mess under the dash as well, they hooked the radio stright to the fuse box. Any idea how much to get the car completely re-wired? Still deciding on the cams, think maybe 292 hydraulic roller cam (less maintenance and adjusting I was told) and 1.6 lifters. This is my first build and am wanting to know if I am heading in the right direction with this. Body work comes last, engine and mechanical issues first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have other things that need tended to as well, but I will wait to say so I don't over burden with questions and answers on this thread. All of my knowledge is all research and my step father who is a master mechanic, but is too busy at the time to help. Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisement

Last edited by Xavier87; 02-23-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Adding more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Xavier

Anything would help, please.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Before asking for serious advice you need to do a little research. There is only one cam in that motor...not CAMS. The lifters are not identified by 1.6, they are either hydraulic flat or roller, or solid flat tappet or roller. You've not given any information on the heads, intake or fuel mixer to be used. No info on rear end gears or desired use of the vehicle. The "cam" is probably the last thing you'd want to worry about, except for the convertoer stall speed which should match the cam being used.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just do the repairs to get the car drivable..You say no money well this can cost a lot to do and making it drivable will be a good learning experience..

Sam
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 AM

I have to agree with the above posters.
From experience,especially wiring,you are much better off starting with a good reliable car.The last thing I would consider is to upgrade the power train and engine in a car that needs a lot of work.
Consider looking for either a much better car to start with,or wiring/exhaust/paint prep first.If that sounds like a lot of money,you have the wrong car.
compare this cost to buying an LS camaro as a starting platform.If you can buy a super clean Camaro,that in itself might be enough to make you happy
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Do you have a daily driver or is that what the Camaro is going to be?

The reason I ask is the end use of the car should be the driving factor on how you proceed.

If it is going to be your only daily driver then as Sam posted above simply focus on getting it driveable. Keep it simple.
Wiring: try to salvage what is there
Drivetrain: Use a running donor motor, you can build your "dream" motor later
If the Camaro is going to be part time hot rod project car then the focus changes. Just keep in mind that most of the project cars that never get completed are a result of tearing the vehicle completly apart and then not having either the desire, money or space to finish it.
The Following User Says Thank You to lakeroadster For This Useful Post:
ilsonno (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Xavier

Yes it is a daily driver. I fixed the wiring problem, and is working great now. I know there is only one cam. I was using a plural sense to the word so it says that I have options, not meaning it was singular, so theres that. Great advice though. It's a great car. I have another vehicle. Everything in the car is stock, except for the engine. It was replaced with a 350. The only way I know that is because I did some "research" and the dipstick is on the left compared to the stock 305 that was on the right. And money might be coming soon, I am going to extend my contract with the Army that will get a bonus. I'm not worried about prepping it for paint either. That will be the very last thing I do. I drove approximately 280 miles today and not one issue. So maybe some "serious" advice on the first post I had. The car has a great foundation to build on. The 383 drop should be started by next month. Just wanted some pointers in reference to the parts I had.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 PM

chose heads first based on power wanted.If you are using a flat tappet hydraulic cam,what are you expecting for power? 350 ish? Exhaust is the most important part,so decide what the end result will be and budget for what you need?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Xavier

My budget is going to be around $7500. I've been told to use hydraulic roller cam for a daily driver because they are less maintenance and don't require adjusting. This might be a dumb question, but what does it mean when someone says they are using open headers?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 PM

open headers is- no mufflers or exhaust system
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
Xavier87 (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Xavier

Thanks man.

Tags
383, engine, rebuild, wiring, z28

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.