Suggestions for Ford starter motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Suggestions for cheap Ford motor

Hey, I'm working on a 1969 mustang. I'm in college and i get done next week, thus i need to start thinking about the car again. As of now, i have 351w block and crank. It needs some work though. My plans are to stroke and bore it to a 408 eventually (probably after i graduate and make an engineer's salary)

So i need a motor in the meantime, while i get the rest of the car ready for that kind of power. I've been looking at 302s.I've found a lot of complete fuel injected 302s for under $200. Stated as running when pulled.

I was wondering if there are any good suggestions on buying cheap motors. Anything from what to look for to indicate reliability, or better models, H.O. , or any suggestions on a specific motor. Or maybe suggestions on how to increase a 302's performance for cheap. Is there a difference between a 5.0 and a 302? Is a 5.0 from the 5.0 mustangs era?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by pyr0; 05-10-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

First off, congrats on completing school. (been there, done that). You mentioned you have a 69 Mustang. The 5.0's are basically a version of the early 302. The prior to 1990 5.0's came with carburation and you could use that if you wanted to. The 91 and newer were fuel injection and ran off a computer system in the car. You could change the fuel injection to a carb setup but you would still run into problems with the serpentine belts, water pump, oil pan and other items because they are different than the 351W that came with your Mustang. Personally, anytime you look for a cheap motor, that's what you'll get, CHEAP! You'll end up spending more money trying to get the cheap motor to run than just building the 351W you got, throwing the 351W in and have fun. I would just be patient and build the 351W the way you want or just buy a transportation vehicle to get around until you finish your project. I wouldn't waste my time with other engines. Start looking at auction places, craigslist and other classifieds for parts for your engine. Don't go Cheap! It'll cost you in the long run. I know..... Just my two pennies here.

Last edited by kleen56; 05-10-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:39 AM
BARN BURNING BIG BLOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
First off, congrats on completing school. (been there, done that). You mentioned you have a 69 Mustang. The 5.0's are basically a version of the early 302. The prior to 1990 5.0's came with carburation and you could use that if you wanted to. The 91 and newer were fuel injection and ran off a computer system in the car. You could change the fuel injection to a carb setup but you would still run into problems with the serpentine belts, water pump, oil pan and other items because they are different than the 351W that came with your Mustang. Personally, anytime you look for a cheap motor, that's what you'll get, CHEAP! You'll end up spending more money trying to get the cheap motor to run than just building the 351W you got, throwing the 351W in and have fun. I would just be patient and build the 351W the way you want or just buy a transportation vehicle to get around until you finish your project. I wouldn't waste my time with other engines. Start looking at auction places, craigslist and other classifieds for parts for your engine. Don't go Cheap! It'll cost you in the long run. I know..... Just my two pennies here.
I agree you should wait cause if you dont you are going to have to switch out some of your parts. plus cheap price = cheap crap, most of the time. i would just wait but i know it must be hard to wait.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.