suggestions on painting my engine compartment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 11:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

suggestions on painting my engine compartment

I'm installing a sbc in my 59 chevy truck and would like some advise on painting the engine compartment. I really don't know that much about spraying and what type on paint to use. I'm not looking for a showroom finish but a glossy look would be nice.

I plan on power washing the engine compartment but after that what grit paper should I use and should I shoot a primer before painting? Also I have the old style paint gun(sears) that I will be using to apply the paint. I have a regulator/evaporator but would should I set the pressure at? Any help would be great.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 12:28 AM

Last photo:

re: paint engine compartment

first power washing is the best way to start. Then get some aircraft striper. Use some really good dish washing glove's steelwool & a cheap paint brush & lots of water & eye potetion ect.Then when it's good & dry prime with epoxy primer sealer. When dry lightly scuff it with a green scotch pad. Blow it down throuhly then wipe it down carfuly with reduser & a tac rag. (knot at the same time of course)(All of witch can be found at at your local auto body supply stores. & some auto part's store's.) Then use polyurathane enamel & hardener. Your air psi Sb @ or between 35 to 45 max. Keep your gun no closer than 12in's from what your painting. Do 1 light coat and let stand for 15 to 20 minute's then put 2 slightly heaver coat's agian let stand for about the same amount of time.Then 1 more heavy coat. Remember to mix 50/50 piant & reducer & 1 To 2 oz. of hardner. I hope this help's
Old 06-06-2006, 05:53 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Everyone has different opinions on how to do this stuff. Personally, I don't like to use paint stripper on anything that has hiding places. That stuff will come out later and bite you. If the paint is relatively sound, as in not peeling or rust, I would leave it. You can clean it real good with a pressure washer. Then clean it with a solvant based wax and grease remover. Then scuff it with a scotchbrite pad. I would then again wipe it, this time with water based WG remover. It then should then be ready to be sprayed with epoxy primer. The epoxy will work as a sealer, and a good base for the paint.

As for the air pressure for your gun, they are all a little different. It should be adjusted to fit the spraying of your gun. The mixture of the paint is also dependant on the materials that you purchase. Mix according to the tech sheets for that product.

Keep in mind that striping a panel is not always the best move. If you are going to spray something on it afterwards, It will need to be sanded good with 80 grit paper or courser to get the paint to stick. An engine compartment has alot of areas that are extremely hard to get sanded good. The epoxy will stick better to a scuffed paint than to metal that isn't sanded properly. The epoxy will have a window where it can be painted right over without having to sand it. If it comes out smooth enough, you just spray over it. If there is some texture to it, just sand it smooth first.

JMO

Aaron

Last edited by adtkart; 06-06-2006 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:31 AM

Last photo:

re;painting engine compartment

If you remove everything from the the engine compartment & I mean everything including any rubber parts the method as I said before it is not only the easyst way to go but more cost efetvie & less time cunsuming .Truste me after more than 30 years I've found this beats the pants off all the other way's I've tride.( And I've all ways gotten show car rezults.) Don't belleve me? Try all the other stuff first .( I have.) Aircraft striper is the way to go. Spend A little time taking everything apart & clean it. Yes it's a big pain. But in the long run knot only well you be happier but your friend's wll just poup. And what can I say I Like fast easy & really good workmenship.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.