Suicide doors on a Comet? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 02:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Suicide doors on a Comet?

I am thinking about suiciding the rear doors of a 4 door, 1960 Comet. It seems like most people suicide doors that are pretty much rectangluar in shape, but the rear door of the Comet has the curve for the back tire built into it. Is this possible to do? I have the metal working and welding skills, but I wanted to know if there were problems trying to move the hinges onto the back of the door where the curve is located. For example, will the door bind when it opens?

I have attached an image to show the area I'm talking about. This isn't the actual car, but has the same door design.

Thanks,
PeterM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suicide door problem.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	10967  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 08:23 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

Suicide doors on a Comet?

Anything can be done, you might go over it 20 times to get it right but this is what its all about. Go for it, and i think you will have something to be really proud of. If everything was easy everyone would be building these cars. I think this would be a great look on this car, and i dont think i have ever seen one like it. Take your time and think it out, but at least get started and it will fall into place.If you dont try it you will never know what you could of had. Good luck and i hope you see this idea through to the end. Im behind you all the way on this, and im sure there are plenty of guys here who will try to help you solve any problems, as thats what this group is all about.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:46 AM

Last photo:

Mrwood,

Point well taken. Sometimes thinking too much is what stops you from trying anything. At the very least, I should grab a couple of buddies, pull one of the rear doors off, and try and move the door around to see what happens when you open it backwards. I might need to fabricate some hinges that swing out, but I won't know until I try.

Thanks,
PeterM
Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

As long as you keep the hinges on the part of the door that's near vertical (or seems that way in the pictures) I can't really foresee any issues. You should try and keep the pivot point on the hinge as close to the outside of the body as possible. Also the further apart you can space the hinges the better. Unfortunately that's going to be tough in your case. It's also hard to tell though from the picture how much the panel curves in above the bodyline by the doorhandle.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:47 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

like you said, most doors this is done to are mostly square, and that fact allows you to put alot of space between the hinges, preventing them from twisting to far.

that creats a small problem on your car, but not one that cant be overcome

my recomendation would be to build your hinges extra strong, and use 3 pivot points on each door instead of 2. that way even tho the forces of the door have more leverage on the hinges, your hinges have the extra material to make up for it also
Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 AM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If you want to put a lot of work into this I would suggest making it a two door. Weld those babies shut -new glass and bang new look sitting still or driving. Admittedly I have not done a car door hanging, my 29 Tudor has suicide doors, I bought it that way, I have hung a lot of house doors and the hinges have to be parallel. As lowrollerchevy suggests, two, extra heavy. Because of the curve they could easily get out of alignment using three. I am thinking if they are both above the curve that might be easier to make the door function. LOL Jack

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.