suicide rear doors over wheel well? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2004, 08:34 PM

Last journal entry: finished
Wiki Edits: 0

suicide rear doors over wheel well?

Hey guys,
I have a question about suiciding the rear doors if they curve up over the wheel well. I have a 1964 ford fairlane 4 door, and I'd really like to have the back doors suicide. I bought a set of plans to make hidden suicide door hinges, but it calls for 2 hinges, and I don't have enough room on the back of the door to space 2 hinges out to handle the weight. there is about 5 inches where I could put hinges on the back of the door, is this enough to get a good stable hinge on? I'll attach a picture at the end so you can see what I mean. Would having one hinge just bend the door right away? how could I get around this? I was thinking instead of just having the hinge welded to the door jamb, to weld a kind of support piece running along the inside of the rear quarter panel back into the trunk, so that it spreads the weight of the door out a little more, instead of putting all the stress onto the door jamb. Is this a dumb idea that wouldn't even work? should I just give up on the suicide rear door look? Thanks a lot in advance for all your help.

~Frank~

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2004, 09:51 AM
back to action!

Last photo:

in my area, it's not everyday you can see a '64 in that nice of shape. i think i would pass on the suicide doors just to keep the car more original. cleaned up and painted, i think you'd have a nice looking car. i love suicide doors but to make it work i think you'd have your work cut out for you.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:47 AM

goose,
thanks for the reply! I haven't seen any 64's around my area at all, that's why I was so excited to find this one in such good shape for so cheap! For the rest of the car I'm not going to go original, I already have an air ride system to put in and new wire wheels, and I'm going to shave the door handles and some of the trim, and of course paint and interior and stuff like that. But, I know suicide rear doors will be tons of work, and not many people would know since there aren't going to be door handles, and I didn't even know if it was possible to suicide the rear doors with that little space for hinges! I think you're right about how I'd have my work cut out for me, and I'm not too sure if it would be worth it since no one would be able to tell just by looking at it. Thanks for the post!

~Frank~
Old 01-31-2004, 12:03 PM
back to action!

Last photo:

well i like challenges and since you already have so much into it, i'd say don't give up on the idea just yet. you should see what i have planned for my little ponycar. if it was easy then anyone could do it. wait for more responses from the metal masters out there.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Cad Power rules!

Last photo:

The cop car on Monster Garage had at least one suicide rear door. I know it's a long shot but they dealt with the exact same issues. I _think_ they had both a horizontal and vertical support that added to the rear doorframe. I also _think_ they had issues whith reinforcing the areas where the hinges attached to the door as well. Wouldn't want to interfere with the windows. HTH.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:24 PM

Hey BeyondHelp,
Thanks for letting me know about that cop car from monster garage, I haven't seen that episode! i'll have to see if I can dig it out from somewhere, and see how they did it. yeah I figured it'd need a ton of reinforcing, just didn't know where and how! I'll check out monster garage to see how they do it, thanks again!!

~Frank~
Old 02-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

Check out the mid 60's Lincoln's they had factory rear suicide door. The rear doors on the 36 are factory suicide and I wish that they opened normal, would be easier to get in and out.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:51 AM

Hey EBlack,
The 60's lincoln look is kind of what I'm looking for, I love those rear suicide doors. But, aren't the back of their doors square? Instead of rounded over the wheel wells? Your 36 looks awesome!! Those rear doors over the wheel wells are suicide? How does the hinge work? That's what I'm trying to do to my fairlane, but the back end of the door doesn't have much room for a hinge. Does yours have the hinges on the outside? or are they hidden? Thanks for the info, by the way I love your 67 gto too (I have a 68, yours looks like it'll be a sharp project , gotta love those old goats)

~Frank~
Old 02-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

The hinges on the 36 are the factory units, one is right above the wheel arch and the other is about the middle of the window. The Lincoln doors were very heavy and may still hold the answer to your question even though they were more square. I will more that likely start on the Goat in the next month or two. I have to get the truck drivable first.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.