summit 600cfm 4bbl - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

summit 600cfm 4bbl

Awhile back i bought a new Summit 600cfm four barrel carb.I wanted to buy an autolite 4100 or have one my old ones rebuilt.BUT those are well over 400 bucks some are pushing 500.I drive cars/trucks with old school tech and keep as much as the old stuff around as i can.I decided i couldnt spend that much money on a carb.So i began looking for the equivalent of an autolite 4100.i hate Holley carbs..i know guys swear by them and love those carbs but i could never get the knack to tune one.So i always run autolites.Anyways i kept coming back to the summit carb.Its construction is as simple as a autolite,function is also similar.I wanted minimal 'moving parts' anyway,I bought the summit carb and i Love it!!! im getting a solid 18mpg whereas before i was getting 14-16mpg.the plugs are cleaner and throttle response is awesome! easy to tune..and once you tune it..it STAYS tuned!! my holleys never stayed after i adjusted them,it seemed i was always adjusting jets,floats,etc.So if anyone is looking for a good carb for daily driving,the summit is good to consider.i wouldnt buy it if i was a guy who was always tuning for the strip or trying to squeeze out an extra hp or two.I dont think its got the adaptability or flexibility of a holley.But for the average daily drivers its a good carb

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Not a technical question or help request, moving to Lounge.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Your luck with Holleys sounds about like mine. I stopped using Holleys years ago because I got tired of working on them. There is no telling how many were straight out of the box that I had to fix before they could be ran. Just about every one of them new out of the box had parts missing. I don't like Edelbrock carbs either because I can't stand that rear fuel entry. The engine has to have half a block of fuel line ran over it to get to the rear entry of the carb and I didn't like that idea very much. So I went back to what I knew. Rochester Quadrajets. Build it, bolt it on, tune it and go. Throttle response so sensitive and crisp it's like fuel injection plus good mileage from the small primaries. And when maximum power is needed open up the massive secondaries which gives that famous howl that sounds like it's gonna suck the hood in from such heavy breathing. I have looked at the summit carbs, and heard they worked quite well. I was thinking about getting one next year for a project then. Now with your testimony I likely will get one.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

i have bought new holley's before,and they ran well but after awhile,they would need adjusting,which i did expect.But i could never seem to get them to tune properly,I got one of my friends who loves Holley to tune it.But i want to do it myself,So at my dad's suggestion i began using autolite 4 barrels.And i can rebuild those in a snap and once i set it up,it stays that way.But im out of useable cores,and rebuilds as i said are $$EXPENSIVE$$ i heard GM guys like the quadrajet and that an edelbrock seems to perform the same so i considered one.Then i saw this summit carb,very similar in operation and design as the autolite 4 barrel.Its been good to me so far and i like it.ask any Ford guy about the autolite 2 barrel and 4 barrel carbs,they are rock solid reliable.Not the best choice for guys who like to tune and tweak and love options on their carbs.But for us guys who want simiplicity and reliable daily driving,this carb does the trick for me
Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Last journal entry: fan shield
Last photo:

sorry for the late post but I also have the Summit carb on my 302 and I love it- it's been a year and i would recommend this carb- not only for price and ease- but....well for price and ease hahahaha
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

YUP!! im going to buy another summit four barrel carb! i finally got the truck up and running,doing its 'shakedown runs'..tweaking leaks,shimmys,odd assortments of bugs getting worked out.I spent the last couple days fine tuning the ignition and carburation.I began with 14-16mpg on a stock 1979 302/FMX with a 9in rear axle and 2.79 gears.Now after tuining im up to 22mpg at 60-65mph.Very good as far as im concerned.The throttle response is right on the button.the carb stays adjusted and the truck runs smooth and i am pleased to have 'carb issues' resolved.Before buying this carb i was running an autolite 2100 2v,I have run them for years,My dad too..or i would run autolite 4100 four barrel carbs..loved every single one of them.But after alot of years alot miles..i just didnt have any good rebuildable cores.So i bought a Holley 500cfm 2V for the truck..less than a week later..power valve blew out...okay..im not carb guru..could have been my fault...two more power valves blew out...so the local speed shop said i needed a kit that has a blowout protector...hmmmm...seems to me thats a problem on holleys if they offer one of those as an 'add-on'...anyways..i think holley has good stuff...just dont care for their carbs.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

I'm sure the new Holley carbs comes equip with the blowout protector.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 AM

Last photo:

the one i got was a brand new 500cfm 2bbl,there was no blowout protector.When i took the carb apart to fix the blown power valve,it wasnt there.My point is why does there need to be a blowout protector? if i was rough on equipment or racing i would expect some problems..but that valve is super sensitive and in my opinion protection should be built into the carb..like 1 4100 or the summit...rather than have an 'add-on'

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.