Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Summit Engine stand (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/summit-engine-stand-100149.html)

428ho 10-12-2006 01:20 PM

Summit Engine stand

1 Attachment(s)
Bought one of their 1000# units. Chiwanese of course.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

This thing really flexes with a 400 inch Pontiac on it. Especially where the fingers hook to the rotation plate.
Anyone have any issues with them? Got me concerned about unhooking the hoist.

What's a better stand? Don't mind paying more for better. Their 1250# stand has the same plate, just different legs I think.

matt167 10-12-2006 03:17 PM

my dad bought a cheap 39.99 HF 750# unit, and it holds a 350 quite nicely

1ownerT 10-12-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 428ho
Bought one of their 1000# units. Chiwanese of course.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

This thing really flexes with a 400 inch Pontiac on it. Especially where the fingers hook to the rotation plate.
Anyone have any issues with them? Got me concerned about unhooking the hoist.

What's a better stand? Don't mind paying more for better. Their 1250# stand has the same plate, just different legs I think.

If you would ship me that engine I will try it on mine and let you know how it looks....I mean works, I'll even pay the shipping one way. :D

weirdbeard 10-12-2006 06:04 PM

I got the $40 HF stand and Mounted my SBC to it. Darn thing was flexing and creaking so much I cut a lil 2X4 and wedged it between the stand and oil pan for extra support. I just dont trust it! When I buy another one I will get one rated for a semi truck engine and then maybe it will hold a small block. ;)

matt167 10-12-2006 06:12 PM

when I rebuild my 200 I6 at school, I'll be using a good engine stand, we'v got 1's that are rated for 2k pounds. there real nice, for the turning mechanism, there are machined insert bearings like what a engine uses, there very smooth turning.

Jcfoote60 10-12-2006 07:47 PM

I got a HF cheapo and same results with a 350. I got the Summit stand that folds up for storage. Works great, the only complaint is you have to horse it to rotate the engine around on the stand. It works great for me cuz I have limited room in my shop and when I am not using it folding the legs up really frees up space.

71lifeliner 10-12-2006 08:02 PM

I bought an elCheapo from a place called big lots.Which around these parts are a closeout store. I gave $29.99 for it and it was the = to the HF.So I got ticked and built my own. No flex on it what so ever. :D

scholman 10-12-2006 08:05 PM

428HO,

On the one I have, I ended up welding a piece of 3"X1/4" flat bar to the back side of the upright. It looks like a capital letter "T" with the upright being the top of the tee and the bar stock is the vertical part of the tee. This flat bar ends about an inch below the pivoting point. I then made a box that fits over the plate with a pin holding the box upright. So when I start working the box is where I put all the removed fasteners.

I also made a new faceplate that is one inch thick and is threaded so I can fasten the holding arms where I need them. This also took care of the flimsy face plate that came with the stand.

My next step is to put a bushing in the piviot head so it will rotate easier.

Good Luck
Scholman

428ho 10-13-2006 06:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys.
Scholman, I think I'll probably do something like that. Since this thing was less than $60 I can rework it and not feel like I wasted anything.
Look at the back picture, this thing really flexes.
I remember when you could buy these things built locally that would hold a tank. Another job lost to China.

BTW, anyone wonder what an Iron head 400 inch Pontiac weighs?

Beenaway2long 10-13-2006 07:30 AM

428-
I bought the bigger Summit Stand with the U shaped legs. It isn't much better. I had a Poncho 350 on it, and it flexed like yours. Pretty scarey. I put a BBC on there with Alum. heads, and it isn't that bad. Still sucks though. You have to jack and shim it to do any blockfill. Use it as a template to make a REAL engine stand. 3/4" plate with 1" x 1" fingers. Used 2"x3"x.250" wall tubing. My buddy built one, and its MINT!! I'll have to build one, and sell my junkers. (The H-F I have is even worse!!)

(One thing I did to help it rotate was light grease, just be caseful when you roll the engine over!!!)

scholman 10-14-2006 01:53 PM

428HO,

From the looks of your pictures the place that needs to be "beefed" up is the rotating face plate.
I used 1 inch plate and then drilled holes where I needed them. Then threaded the holes so I did not need the nuts like you are using.

Good Luck
Scholman

home brew 10-14-2006 02:45 PM

It looks to me like the engine plate pipe is outside diameter is too small for the inside diameter of the stand pipe. Perhaps you can get a bushing for it which will stop the flex and make the engine turn smoother and easier.

topfuel 10-14-2006 07:38 PM

I went to the local Sam's (Walmart wholesale only) store and bought the Goodyear (import) brand. I tested it with a BBC with an 8-71 on top and it held up to the test very well. I went back and bought 5 more for the shop. For $80 these are a great deal. It folds up as well to conserve some space. :thumbup:

Barry

Brian_B 10-14-2006 08:16 PM

I built my own. The upright is a 3" X 4" tube with 3/8" wall. It does not flex! :D

I made the lower part where it un-bolts. There is no way I could lift the whole thing at once to load it in a truck.

I too have some Sam's club items. I have an engine hoist and the floor jack. They seem fine and the price was right.

weirdbeard 10-14-2006 08:21 PM

I would like to see some of these home build stands. Not that I dont believe there good, I just like to see home made stuff you know. :mwink: