Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Summit epoxy w/ Rustoleum reducer
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintKem
Yes, I have been blessed to be an automotive paint chemist and a hobby painter for many years now. It is a lot of fun to be part of this industry.

The PPG DT series reducer does have ingredients in it that are not strong solvents (called diluents when used in this manner) for epoxy or even most urethane resins for that matter. However, there are enough good solvents in there to keep everything in solution. The point I was making is that at face value the Rustoleum blend reported actually contains better solvents for epoxy than the PPG. As you and I both said the potential water content of the rustoleum reducer could be a problem but if it were managed properly by rustoleum would not be a problem. Acetone is indeed always a tough one to keep dry.
Thanks for the explanation, I hope you decide to stay and share more of this kind of knowledge!

I think I may have a knee-jerk reaction against anything that says "Rustoleum" on the can, at least when it comes to doing quality automotive refinish work. Some of their products may indeed be suitable, though usually the MSDS does not tell the whole story.

P.S. I think that word I was looking for re acetone was actually "hygroscopic," not "hydrophilic," but I couldn't edit it after I'd had my coffee and realized it, lol.