Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Summit epoxy w/ Rustoleum reducer
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoonshine
Is it necessary to use paint strainers, and if so is 60/70 mesh OK for the epoxy?
I bought some of these strainers but they also had some that were around 120 mesh I think?.........I just figured the higher the number the higher the strand count in the mesh so a lower number would probably work better with a thicker paint.
The HVLP gun I will be using has a 1.4 tip on it so will the epoxy shoot through this OK and will it shoot better if I do use the reduce? I know it says to reduce it as much as 20% for sealer but if I just wanted to thin it a little what if I just used 10% reducer? wold that be better than using the full 20%? I know some of ya were saying not to use it.
One last thing, I am going to say that if I am using 32oz of primer/catalyst + 20% reducer (6.4oz) = 38.4oz correct? or just the 10% would be 3.2oz reducer.
It is advisable to use a strainer to keep out foreign matter and even semi-dried bits of material from the edge of the container that may not catalyze properly.

The paper strainers supplied by my jobber are rated in microns, the most commonly used sizes range from 125 to 190 micron. I use 125s for sealers, clears, solid colors, and some primers, and 190s for metallics, pearls, and poly primer.

It's OK to use a smaller mesh with epoxy primer, as it is not too viscose to pour through a fine mesh like some poly primers.

If you are shooting epoxy on bare metal, or as a primer for bodywork, less reducer is better. Sometimes a new painter will have better luck with a small amount of reduction, even 5% will make a difference in the spray characteristics of the material if you are having trouble laying it out. Try it unreduced first, especially on bare metal.

P.S. Your arithmetic looks OK to me.