Summit epoxy w/ Rustoleum reducer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2010, 05:42 PM
greenmoonshine's Avatar
have a pheasant plucking day
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Marietta,☠☠☠W.V.☠☠☠
Posts: 159
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Summit epoxy w/ Rustoleum reducer

I need to lay down some primer on my old Regal project and was just going to to it a section at a time, the first place that I am starting with is the roof.
I just bought a gallon of Summit Racings epoxy primer and catalyst and it says that you can use it as a sealer if you mix 20% reducer with it, I am a little new to the painting scene and I believe this is exactly what I want to do is use the primer as a sealer but when I ordered it I didnt order any of there reducer......so I just went down to my local Autozone and bought this
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
its rustoleums own reducer (PN248877) it doesnt specify if it fast medium or slow so I was hoping someone out there might be able to tell me if this is OK to use or should I return it and order 2 quarts from Summit in there medium version?
Thanks

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pocono Mountains,Pa
Posts: 230
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using epoxy as a sealer generally means you will spray one coat and then paint directly over it without sanding.The reducer will just make it lay flatter. That doesn't sound like what you want. I would skip the risk of using that reducer altogether because it will be a major mess if its incompatable,and just mix the primer with the catalyst and spray it like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM
greenmoonshine's Avatar
have a pheasant plucking day
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Marietta,☠☠☠W.V.☠☠☠
Posts: 159
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thinking was that once I get it down to bare metal where the rust is, the thinner epoxy will get down in the pitted areas left by the newly removed rust and lie flat in there causing it to seal better, then I can go back later and fill the pits with a light coat of filler or just use filler primer (depending on depth of pits).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 PM
crashtech's Avatar
Technician
 
Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Idaho
Posts: 701
Wiki Edits: 17

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't use the Rustoleum reducer unless you have detailed knowledge of what it contains. It would be best to shoot the epoxy straight if you aren't sure, you could really be opening a worm can there. Now if you were to go to an auto paint supply and get some PPG reducer like DT870, that would not be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM
greenmoonshine's Avatar
have a pheasant plucking day
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Marietta,☠☠☠W.V.☠☠☠
Posts: 159
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well from the looks of it the ppg has a little more to it than the rustoleum
ppg lists,
1-METHOXY-2-PROPYL ACETATE
2-METHYLCYCLOHEXANE
3-TOLUENE
4-N-HEPTANE
5-NAPHTHA
6-METHYL ETHYL KETONE
7-V.M. AND P. NAPHTHA

rustoleum lists only,
1-Acetone
2-Methyl n- Amyl Ketone
3-Ethyl 3 -ethoxy propionate
this was taken from there msds
So at most I should return the rustoleum reducer and get it from Summit,
the ppg when looking for its msds, I came across some pricing and 1 quart was a little over what I payed for the gallon on rustoleum, I can get it cheaper through Summit......but laying it down as a sealer primer will work OK right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 4
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoonshine
Well from the looks of it the ppg has a little more to it than the rustoleum
ppg lists,
1-METHOXY-2-PROPYL ACETATE
2-METHYLCYCLOHEXANE - POOR FOR EPOXY
3-TOLUENE
4-N-HEPTANE POOR FOR EPOXY
5-NAPHTHA POOR FOR EPOXY
6-METHYL ETHYL KETONE
7-V.M. AND P. NAPHTHA POOR FOR EPOXY

rustoleum lists only,
1-Acetone - Excellent in Epoxy
2-Methyl n- Amyl Ketone - Excellent in Epoxy
3-Ethyl 3 -ethoxy propionate - Fair to good in epoxy
Definitely best to buy the reducer from Summit to be safe. Of the two you mentioned above the rustoleum blend you have listed above is actually better for conventional 2K epoxy. The wild card is water content which you won't find on the MSDS. If the rustoleum has an excessive water contaminant then it could cause some problems so definitely worth the wait to follow the instructions and buy the proper reducer and then follow the insturctions they recommend for use direct to metal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 PM
greenmoonshine's Avatar
have a pheasant plucking day
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Marietta,☠☠☠W.V.☠☠☠
Posts: 159
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I am now convinced to not use the rustoleum and instead go with the Summit UP401 medium, its only $10 a quart so I think I will just get a couple and have one in reserve.
What exactly is "conventional" 2k epoxy? This epoxy primer i got is single stage 2 part (2k-primer/activator) so what does this rustoleum reducer work with besides the rustoleum primer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 AM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,202
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 28
Thanked 466 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoonshine
My thinking was that once I get it down to bare metal where the rust is, the thinner epoxy will get down in the pitted areas left by the newly removed rust and lie flat in there causing it to seal better, then I can go back later and fill the pits with a light coat of filler or just use filler primer (depending on depth of pits).
rust o lium is toulene,dont use it ...you would just use the hardner and the epoxy on bare metal ...dont worry about the sealer until you paint,and then use a good quality "urethane" reducer only...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 08:10 AM
crashtech's Avatar
Technician
 
Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Idaho
Posts: 701
Wiki Edits: 17

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintKem
Definitely best to buy the reducer from Summit to be safe. Of the two you mentioned above the rustoleum blend you have listed above is actually better for conventional 2K epoxy. The wild card is water content which you won't find on the MSDS. If the rustoleum has an excessive water contaminant then it could cause some problems so definitely worth the wait to follow the instructions and buy the proper reducer and then follow the instructions they recommend for use direct to metal.
Thanks for your interesting contribution, and welcome! Are you a paint chemist?

Why would PPG recommend the use of DT reducer in their DP and DPLF epoxy if it contains unsuitable ingredients?

I will adjust my techniques and advice if standard urethane reducers are shown to be generally be unsuitable for epoxy.

I know I would not use any store bought acetone for mixing into coatings, as acetone is hydrophilic. If it doesn't have water in it when you buy it, it will eventually as it absorbs it from the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 AM
chevymike's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 71
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoonshine
My thinking was that once I get it down to bare metal where the rust is, the thinner epoxy will get down in the pitted areas left by the newly removed rust and lie flat in there causing it to seal better, then I can go back later and fill the pits with a light coat of filler or just use filler primer (depending on depth of pits).
Based on the info from my Kustom Shop Epoxy primer, bare metal should be non reduced. It should be epoxy and hardener. Based on their info, you add the reducer to use it as a sealer, which is typically done over a painted surface, to seal it from any top coat done after the sealer. Kind of why it's called sealer.

Even at non reduced, it will lay fine in any pits but is not going to fill them. You will need to do that with a skim coat of filler. I'm a totally newbie at this but this is what I have learned from this site and many others I have researched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 AM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,202
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 28
Thanked 466 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoonshine
I think I am now convinced to not use the rustoleum and instead go with the Summit UP401 medium, its only $10 a quart so I think I will just get a couple and have one in reserve.
What exactly is "conventional" 2k epoxy? This epoxy primer i got is single stage 2 part (2k-primer/activator) so what does this rustoleum reducer work with besides the rustoleum primer?
You can clean your greasy parts and your paint gun with it ,glue residue Etc ... but lacquer thinner is cheaper.
Lowes has little you can use for a car ...I've used some of the stuff from there when I run out but its way more expensive than my jobber but what are ya gonna do on a weekend ?? they have some sand paper ,aircraft stripper,lacquer thinner, fiber glass resin and mat,that are all pretty good...bondo ,but it really sucks,strainers and paint sticks but you have to buy them and they are free at the jobbers ...the primers by rust o lium arnt very good I would only use them on suspension parts ,but only in an emergency,if at all ,never on a body ....although their cold galvinizing compound in a rattle can makes a pretty good weld through primer....
I use a lot of epoxy and I wouldnt reduce it....not ever...I only reduce it as a sealer...
when I made all my air bag brackets one weekend..I had to use that primer so I could keep on going...I got the job done but I wished I waited ....

Last edited by deadbodyman; 09-17-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
cyclopsblown34's Avatar
Colorsanding painter
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Russellville, Missouri
Age: 47
Posts: 982
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 101
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
You can clean your greasy parts and your paint gun with it ,glue residue Etc ... but lacquer thinner is cheaper.
Lowes has little you can use for a car ...I've used some of the stuff from there when I run out but its way more expensive than my jobber but what are ya gonna do on a weekend ?? they have some sand paper ,aircraft stripper,lacquer thinner, fiber glass resin and mat,that are all pretty good...bondo ,but it really sucks,strainers and paint sticks but you have to buy them and they are free at the jobbers ...the primers by rust o lium arnt very good I would only use them on suspension parts ,but only in an emergency,if at all ,never on a body ....although their cold galvinizing compound in a rattle can makes a pretty good weld through primer....
I use a lot of epoxy and I wouldnt reduce it....not ever...I only reduce it as a sealer...
when I made all my air bag brackets one weekend..I had to use that primer so I could keep on going...I got the job done but I wished I waited ....
x2 on the cold galvanizing compound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 PM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,202
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 28
Thanked 466 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
x2 on the cold galvanizing compound.
Ahh ,youve tried it...if I have something that isnt worth the time to use epoxy or cant wait for it to dry that stuff works great I dont buy any weld thru primer since I found this...I never thought weld thru was worth the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 4
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
Thanks for your interesting contribution, and welcome! Are you a paint chemist?

Why would PPG recommend the use of DT reducer in their DP and DPLF epoxy if it contains unsuitable ingredients?

I will adjust my techniques and advice if standard urethane reducers are shown to be generally be unsuitable for epoxy.

I know I would not use any store bought acetone for mixing into coatings, as acetone is hydrophilic. If it doesn't have water in it when you buy it, it will eventually as it absorbs it from the air.
Yes, I have been blessed to be an automotive paint chemist and a hobby painter for many years now. It is a lot of fun to be part of this industry.

The PPG DT series reducer does have ingredients in it that are not strong solvents (called diluents when used in this manner) for epoxy or even most urethane resins for that matter. However, there are enough good solvents in there to keep everything in solution. The point I was making is that at face value the Rustoleum blend reported actually contains better solvents for epoxy than the PPG. As you and I both said the potential water content of the rustoleum reducer could be a problem but if it were managed properly by rustoleum would not be a problem. Acetone is indeed always a tough one to keep dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 PM
greenmoonshine's Avatar
have a pheasant plucking day
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Marietta,☠☠☠W.V.☠☠☠
Posts: 159
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintKem
Originally Posted by greenmoonshine
Well from the looks of it the ppg has a little more to it than the rustoleum
ppg lists,
1-METHOXY-2-PROPYL ACETATE
2-METHYLCYCLOHEXANE - POOR FOR EPOXY
3-TOLUENE
4-N-HEPTANE POOR FOR EPOXY
5-NAPHTHA POOR FOR EPOXY
6-METHYL ETHYL KETONE
7-V.M. AND P. NAPHTHA POOR FOR EPOXY

rustoleum lists only,
1-Acetone - Excellent in Epoxy
2-Methyl n- Amyl Ketone - Excellent in Epoxy
3-Ethyl 3 -ethoxy propionate - Fair to good in epoxy
OK,........WOW , I totally missed where you had listed what was good,fair,excellent and poor for epoxy , now your statement about the conventional 2k epoxy makes more sense I got a little lost for a moment, but what your saying is that the ingredients in the rustoleum reducer look good except for its possible and or exceptional water content due to the acetone.
Maybe I should have tried the rustoleum, oh well I have already ordered the Summit reducer, but now I guess I shouldn't use the reducer at all, well until I have laid down all the epoxy primer and ready for paint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
advise on PG epoxy D834 DP40 ditonics Body - Exterior 4 03-02-2010 08:50 PM
Epoxy Prep also sealer question off2wildblue Body - Exterior 3 05-09-2009 01:23 PM
Marine Epoxy Primer? rlackey Body - Exterior 10 03-24-2005 04:14 AM
Hey BarryK reducing Epoxy rick458 Body - Exterior 7 03-23-2005 05:49 PM
Barry, epoxy adhesion testing? baddbob Body - Exterior 21 03-20-2005 09:12 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.