Summit Ignition System vs MSD - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Summit Ignition System vs MSD

Next step of my engine design is an ignition system while the block is out being machined. As I posted earlier, I am building a 383SBC to go in my '36 Ford Coupe street rod. This engine is being built as a strong street performer, not a race engine, looking for performance up to about 6,000 RPM with a Comp Hyd. Roller XR276HR (224/230 and .502/.510) with 9.8 compression. All decisions so far have been biased toward torque rather than all out HP. I have decided on Edelbrock E-Tec 170cc runner heads, 6.00" rods and an internally balanced rotating assembly. I have a BW T-10 and 3.50 gears, I plan on a Lakewood scatter shield and a steel flywheel.

I have selected the Barry Grant Six Shooter Old School intake system for looks, performance and economy. The BG Six Shooter requires the use of small, mechanical advance distributors in order to clear the rear most carburetor. They have recommended MSD 85551, 8570 or any other small points style distributor.

In the lastest Summit Catalog (July-August 2007) on pages 7, 68-69, 71 they present their new "State of the Art Ignition Systems." On page 69 Summit has a "Compare Summit Ignitions" chart where they compare their system to MSD, Mallory, PerTronix and Crane. As you can see feature wise the Summit System compares nicely and is digital where as MSD is Analog.

The MSD is a proven system, but the 6AL has been in production for years relatively unchanged, i.e. analog.

On paper the Summit Ignition System looks really good and I know that Summit does not put their name on parts unless they have high confidence in the product.

What do you think guys? Would you chance this new product that seems to be more advanced and less expensive or go with the proven and more expensive MSD system?

Please help me by giving your technical reasons for your opinion, not just your emotional responses.

Thanks!

Harley Monster

Advertisement

Last edited by Harley Monster; 07-22-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

summit vs. msd ign.

hi harley monster, i would be careful on buying the summit ignition. make sure it is not pro-comp junk. msd is a great product. remember you get what you pay for. sam-missle
Old 07-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Thanks Sam, Summit states that this system is "Made in the USA", isn't Pro-Comp import?

Harley Monster
Old 07-22-2007, 03:56 PM

I think it is mallory

I think it is made buy mallory, specs are the same looks similar. I have had mallory for along time and works grate. I don't know if I had it to do over I think I would get MSD. My only reason is plug gap for mallory works best with .035 msd is .045+.

Can I just say "wow" on the six shooter, big money.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks Tom...I am not label or logo-centric, but the MSD may be a better way to go due to the solid reputation and reliability of MSD, it would add to the curb appeal and resale if I ever sold it.

Yeah, the BG Six Shooter is BIG bucks, but I have had this car a long time and I am not into it for very much so I decided to go for broke on it. The BG Six Shooter puts out as much or more than a Demon 4 barrel on the same engine and it looks "HOT."

The entire front of the car has to come off to get the engine out of this heap so I am trying to do everything right the first time out.

I could do all of this for way less by sticking a crate engine in it, even the Fast Burn 383 GM but "that is no fun" because I like to do everything myself, always have, and part of the fun is doing the research to do it right. I am slow in the decisions, but I seldom regret my choices.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.