Summit Parts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2002, 08:06 AM
All throttle.. No bottle

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Summit Parts

Has anyone ever used any of the Summit brand parts? Like if I were to use a Summit cam instead of a Comp Cam, would it work just as well? I've noticed Summit offers all kinds of parts with their name on them and was just wondering how they hold up. Also do they make their own parts or are they made by someone else and summit just puts their name on it? The prices seem to be pretty good.

Thanks,
C10

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2002, 04:58 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I've seen a couple summit cams in action they hold up.As far as performance if its the right cam it should run great.Also the summit stamped steel 1.5 rockers are good.
I feel that summit as big as they are wouldn't put their name on junk.
Also I have a Jegs brand torque converter in my car.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:15 PM

I don't believe Summit makes their own parts, they are parts made for Summit by other brand names and sold under the Summit name. The Summit water pump I got was a Flowkooler, 12.00 cheeper for the same pump.The sales rep. @ Summit told me in not so many words this was the case but was not allowed to say what brand. So who knows the Summit cam could be a comp. cam. I know Jegs does this also.
Thanks
Drifter

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: DRIFTER ]</p>
Old 07-20-2002, 08:32 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I've used two of their rebuild kits without any problem. I should add that neither was intended (or used) in a high HP application.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:30 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I believe the rebuild kits used clevite77 bearings and hastings rings.Probably w/ summits name on them.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

you may be surprised to find out just what they own/operate. i have used a number of summit brand parts with no trouble. its like anything else,there are some better parts,they are made for high hp/racing conditions.for the street,dont be afraid of summit parts.i wouldnt go with anything cheaper than what summit offers. thats my .02

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: FASTFORD ]</p>
Old 07-06-2008, 05:24 PM

summit parts

i have some of their smaller parts fuel pump, regulator it all works well. just recently got their ignition box and having some issues.
i have had to return items and their cutomer service is killer
Old 07-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

If you compare their parts to the name brand items, you will be able to see who makes what. Example, it appears that Griffin makes the Summit radiators. I have not purchased any Summit brand parts, but just like it was stated, someone with a big name is making them.

Jason
Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I don't know....I have a pair of their Summit brand gauges (water temp, oil press) and neither one is accurate.........
Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I've had pretty good luck with Summit parts. I love thier website, it kill Jegs by far. The shipping is included (small handling fee though) and I usually get parts in two days.

I used a mix of Summit and Russell braided stainless and AN fittings when I plumbed my blower motor and the quality seemed the same, although the colors were a little off. I just noticed the other day that the red fittings have faded a bit. Not sure which brand the fittings were though.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

As long as you are not super picky about the parts then they are fine, I wouldn't use a cam but I have used their pulleys, water pumps, distributors, thermostat housings, fuel pumps, regulators, gauges, alternators, brackets, valve covers, air cleaners, oil pans, and a bunch of smaller items required to "finish" a motor.

I shopped there exclusively until I found Competition products for my engine parts.

The thing about it is you have to be prepared for the items not to be perfect. Like on the distributor the power and tach wires kept pushing up out of the connector to the cap. (a little adjustment fixed this, small price to pay for a great performing distributor for 90 bucks complete)

I bought the polished aluminum valve covers and the baffle screw holes weren't tapped on one cover (simple fix)

but at the same rate I have purchased "name brand parts" that weren't perfect either. Like the moroso oil pan that had a cracked weld and dripped oil after I filled it (another easy fix if you have a welder)

On something internal I would pick a name brand or cam specific company like ISKY. So the chances of having to make adjustments are smaller.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:32 AM
AKA Lee in KC

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
I've had pretty good luck with Summit parts. I love thier website, it kill Jegs by far. The shipping is included (small handling fee though) and I usually get parts in two days.

I used a mix of Summit and Russell braided stainless and AN fittings when I plumbed my blower motor and the quality seemed the same, although the colors were a little off. I just noticed the other day that the red fittings have faded a bit. Not sure which brand the fittings were though.
I used some Summit brand AN fittings because the Russell equivalents were out of stock. ALL of the red Summit fittings faded very quickly.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Good discussion even if the thread is 6 years old.

I've had both good and bad luck with summit, but I think its a "you get what you pay for" type of place.

Ran a cam in my 305. It was fine but I don't think the technology was up there. It did its job for a low price but I don't think it squeezed out every ounce of power it could have.

Ran a fuel pressure regulator that was complete garbage. It would either run 9 psi or 0, nothing in between. When you'd go back and check it again later the reading would be different. Trashed it.

Center bolt valve covers (chrome) were garbage. Leaked all the time, finally trashed them.

The quality is very hit and miss. I have an alternator bracket that works fine, but then again its hard to screw that up. I would stay away from any critical parts, performance adding parts or parts that are counted on for a "finish."

K
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 PM

I have used several things. They really do a nice job. And great way to save some cash. The quality is veryy good.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Dry Heat

Last journal entry: along the weird tale..
Last photo:

Everything I've used that was Summit branded has worked well. I am not sure of country of orgin..but products have seemed well made for street applications.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.