Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - summit primers
Thread: summit primers
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Just to be clear ...I am saying You can use "SPI" epoxy to do the building of the entire car as long as your filler work is "dead" on if you need a 2k to make the filler look good the epoxy wont take its place,However,for straightening the body with blocking can replace 2k ,even preform better later on because of it chip resistance...You cant get the epoxy to build as thick as 2k all at once, You spray 2 coats let it sit then 2 more coats.I've sprayed as much as 8 coats and built it enough to fill 36 grit scratches and did this on purpose just to see.....It does take time to cure but its worth the wait....
I got pics of the what I did with the 8 coats and how it coverd and filled If anyone wants to see them I'd be happy to show them PLUS that was a few yrs ago and I still have the car so it holds up to the test of time also...
So yes,I am sayin that you can completely eliminate using any 2k build primer with SPI epoxy....once your filler skills reach a certain level and you have the time for it to cure.
I still keep some 2k around but I go through a gallon of epoxy and activator (2gal) to a qt of 2k...
I would think it would actually be well suited for the novice since they can spray it one weekend and the next start sanding....
Or the resto shops
but not so much for your normal everyday body shop that has to pump em out....thats where the 2k comes in handy...