Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - summit primers
Thread: summit primers
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mike, I just tried some SPI Epoxy...and abused it...I did a bunch of 18" X 18" test panels...on one, I ground a spot about 10" X 10" with a 24 grit disc buzzed the 18" X 18" panel with 80 grit on my DA, (not a real harsh buzz but enough to rough up the edges for mechanical adhesion)...I applied 2 wet coats with a 1.8 tip (not puddling wet but much heavier than I normally would), allowed about 2 hours flash at about 70 degrees between coats and let it sit for about a week to cure....I blocked out the seemed to take care of the scratches...I painted it about 10 days ago and it still looks good...didn't sink or die back....(A disclaimer here, I don't recommend this or would I ever do it on a customer's vehicle or anything I really cared was a test panel and wanted to see how far I could push it.)

Mike, when you sprayed your 8 coats of epoxy to cover 36 grit scratches, was it sprayed fairly lightly or heavy? The reason I'm asking is because I seem to have more or less filled 24 grit scratches with 2 coats being sprayed leaning on the wet side. Did I abuse the bet I did...will the test panel die back or should, because after sanding there isn't enough product to evenly fill the profile left with the grinding disc. I will say I am impressed with what I've seen so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (01-17-2013)