Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - summit primers
Thread: summit primers
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mike, I just tried some SPI Epoxy...and abused it...I did a bunch of 18" X 18" test panels...on one, I ground a spot about 10" X 10" with a 24 grit disc buzzed the 18" X 18" panel with 80 grit on my DA, (not a real harsh buzz but enough to rough up the edges for mechanical adhesion)...I applied 2 wet coats with a 1.8 tip (not puddling wet but much heavier than I normally would), allowed about 2 hours flash at about 70 degrees between coats and let it sit for about a week to cure....I blocked out the primer....it seemed to take care of the scratches...I painted it about 10 days ago and it still looks good...didn't sink or die back....(A disclaimer here, I don't recommend this or would I ever do it on a customer's vehicle or anything I really cared about...it was a test panel and wanted to see how far I could push it.)

Mike, when you sprayed your 8 coats of epoxy to cover 36 grit scratches, was it sprayed fairly lightly or heavy? The reason I'm asking is because I seem to have more or less filled 24 grit scratches with 2 coats being sprayed leaning on the wet side. Did I abuse the product...you bet I did...will the test panel die back or sink...it should, because after sanding there isn't enough product to evenly fill the profile left with the grinding disc. I will say I am impressed with what I've seen so far.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (01-17-2013)