Thread: summit primers
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I sprayed two VEEERY wet coats and let it flash for two hrs ,It took the whole day to get the primer on then it took about a week to cure..one good way to know if its cured is to DA sand it ,if the paper clogs with little balls its not ready yet...Like you, I dont recomend doing this I was just pushing it to its limits ,I could never recommend something I didnt have complete faith in...
and I'm not easily impressed, I've used about every epoxy that matters and nothing else does what this does,Its not only impressive, its my new standard to measure all others by.if another product comes along thats better or if the price of it gets outragous ,i'll switch but I really dont see that happening anytime soon...
Thanks Mike, I also read in another post that you wrote that your 36 grit scratches where over top of filler...that explained why you would have sprayed 8 coats as filler is porous, should and will soak up some of the primer where as metal won't. I was just wondering and trying to explain to anyone reading these posts as to why I could fill 24 grit scratches with 2 wet coats and you used more. Different tests but still very interesting results.

I also know what you mean by uncured primer sanding in little balls...it did take a week of cure time for this primer (when abused as I did) to have respectable sanding qualities...being an Epoxy, it should be expected.

I'm not easily impressed either...for what I do now, price is rarely an issue, it's more about quality...Customers, as usual, complain about the price of material and labor to do quality paint work and body work...When I explain to them that the engine in their car often cost more than the paint and body job and they haven't even paid to put the motor in and get it running properly yet...they more readily stop, listen and understand. When I find a product that works and does what is broadcasted by the manufacturer tech sheets and on top of it all, price is user friendly, it's a no brainer. My experience with SPI is limited, I haven't used it much at all, but, from what I see so far, I will. I mentioned on another thread that I have 2 jobs that I'm finishing up and am getting close to the painting stage....(Old Fords, a model A and a model T) so black is the color of the day. I will order SPI, epoxy, black base and clear to complete these jobs.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
John long (01-17-2013)