summit primers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 AM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

summit primers

I order all of my materials from summit...what is the thickest best build primer they have that really fills good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Why not order SPI products? Free shipping on every order, no matter if only 1 qt or 5 gallons.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatkid View Post
I order all of my materials from summit...what is the thickest best build primer they have that really fills good?
The REAL answer to your ???

NONE

X2 on SPI products
Old 01-12-2013, 04:23 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Well..sounds like I should atleast check em out.Should I just Google spi?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatkid View Post
Well..sounds like I should atleast check em out.Should I just Google spi?
You will NOT be disappointed I highly recommend their primers, clear and other products and they have the best tech line/customer service you will ever find.
click here ---------> Home for their home page.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 AM

I agree with the SPI products. You will not be disappointed.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

These guys are right on with Southern Polyurethanes Incorporated.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

we're all members of the same cult...SPI products are on my alter too...all other products are made by infidels...
Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

I'll be the lone dissenter and say I like Summit's epoxy primer better than SPI. Summit's was thicker and filled better and was cheaper. They both spray the same to me. Summit's 2K primer filled fine for my needs, but if you need more then just buy Featherfill or Slicksand.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

I have never used any of the paint products that summit offers so I can't say anything good or bad about te product. However I do know for a fact that if I have a question about an SPI product I can call Barry on his personal cell phone anytime day or night 7 days a week 365 days a year and talk to the man that makes the product he sells. I bet from experience with bigger companies, if you called summit and asked them anything they would transfer you to a rep that would tell you something that someone else told him that someone else told him that they learned in a class somewhere. AND I'd also be willing to bet that there is no one available before 8 or after 6 or on the weekends or holidays. BUT like I said I have never used te products summit offers so I may be way off base. As for the ever coat products I have used them and still do on occasion but I have been trying to get some information from one of their reps for over a month now with no reply. With all that said. If you like summit primer and it has served you well continue to use it. I see a lot of benefits using SPI because of quality, customer service, and reputation. Best of luck to you on your projects. Please bare in mind I am not trying to start an argument just wanted to state my reasons for using SPI.

Kelly
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
I have never used any of the paint products that summit offers so I can't say anything good or bad about te product. However I do know for a fact that if I have a question about an SPI product I can call Barry on his personal cell phone anytime day or night 7 days a week 365 days a year and talk to the man that makes the product he sells. I bet from experience with bigger companies, if you called summit and asked them anything they would transfer you to a rep that would tell you something that someone else told him that someone else told him that they learned in a class somewhere. AND I'd also be willing to bet that there is no one available before 8 or after 6 or on the weekends or holidays. BUT like I said I have never used te products summit offers so I may be way off base. As for the ever coat products I have used them and still do on occasion but I have been trying to get some information from one of their reps for over a month now with no reply. With all that said. If you like summit primer and it has served you well continue to use it. I see a lot of benefits using SPI because of quality, customer service, and reputation. Best of luck to you on your projects. Please bare in mind I am not trying to start an argument just wanted to state my reasons for using SPI.

Kelly
Well said
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendus View Post
I'll be the lone dissenter and say I like Summit's epoxy primer better than SPI. Summit's was thicker and filled better and was cheaper. They both spray the same to me. Summit's 2K primer filled fine for my needs, but if you need more then just buy Featherfill or Slicksand.
If you find another product that you like better then of course use it. I would.

I just ordered and used my first SPI epoxy and am a new convert. it sprayed perfectly with a 1.4 tip. It actually had enough build properties that I was able to block it out for a small repair. It sanded well and did not clog the paper as most Epoxies will do. I personally believe it is the best I have ever used and am anxious to try their other products. While Epoxy is not billed as a high build primer to be able to do some moderate building with it is a real plus. Instead of using an Epoxy primer, 2k high build primer, and sealer it allowed everything to be done in one step...... Prime with epoxy, block and paint. Ain't life grand?

Just as a matter of record, I have been using PPG DP40LF up to this point.

John L

Last edited by John long; 01-14-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:50 AM

Last photo:

Just curious, those here that use Summit Epoxy primer, how soon is it sandable? How long can it remained submerged in brake fluid? Will lacquer thinner clean up your gun if you are like me and forget to get things clean soon after use ( like 48 hrs later) ?
Thanks, OF.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I dont know about Summit but When I left the SPI epoxy in my gun I had a very hard time cleaning it ,just getting apart was a big deal...I had about 3/4" of primer in the cup and after soaking in thinner a few hrs it finally came out in one piece ,,,looked like a hocky puck. I saved it for a while to show people.
For those of us "seasond" bodymen that dont all the extra fill of a 2k ,this really is the perect primer...
SPI black epoxy primer also makes for a great Hotrod black since they started adding UV protection in it....It comes in black,white and gray...
Unfortunately for Summit and all other E primer manufacturers even if they somehow manage to make a "better"primer (highly doubtful) I'll never know,I've found MY primer and I'll stick with it till I'm gone or the company is gone...
Anyways doesnt Summit sell car parts ???? who's making this primer??? wouldnt you want to buy direct and deal with the company that actually makes the product...
I could be wrong but I dont know a single pro that uses Summit paint products ,they target DIY's on a tight budget and they're good at it....
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Anyways doesnt Summit sell car parts ???? who's making this primer??? wouldnt you want to buy direct and deal with the company that actually makes the product...
Kirker, I believe makes the primer and paint for Summit. And you can't buy direct from Kirker anyway, but I can contact them directly with questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
,they target DIY's on a tight budget
That would be me.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.