summit racing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs up summit racing

I just wanted to let everybody know about my positive experience with summit racing. I bought a 750 speed demon for my brother as a christmas present. When I got it 2 days later, I opened it to make sure everything was intact. To my surprise, the electric choke was shattered into pieces. I called summit racing back and explained the situation, so they had somebody from UPS come to my door, pick up the carburetor and ship it back to them without any cost to me AND at the same time, today they shipped a new speed demon to my door. I'd have to say I am one happy customer who has ordered from them countless times and never been dissapointed.

MAD PROPS GOES OUT TO SUMMIT RACING FOR THEIR MOST EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE EVERY TIME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2002, 11:26 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

I have had good and bad experiences with Summit. I will continue to deal with them if I need to. I drove there once and at the time I lived a little over an hour away, well I went there and spent a nice chunk of change. I think I had bought pistons, rings, rod bolts, valves, springs to match the cam, retainers, maybe some other odds and ends. Well you know there's that counter where they come out and bring you your parts and there is someone there that "verifies" that everything is correct. Well I should have double checked it myself because they didn't do a good enough job. I drove all the way home and When I was going over everything, the retainers were not the correct ones. I was furious. It's not like I was running to the parts store that is 5 minutes away, so I called them and demand that they send the correct parts UPS and pronto! If I wanted to wait a week, I wouldn't have driven there to get the parts, I would have ordered them. So I am going rounds with the guy on the phone and he wasn't being very nice to me and said "Look, you're only an hour away, can't you just drive back here and swap the parts?"
I couldn't believe that he could have the "big brass ones" to even say that to me. After eventually talking to someone else, I did get them to UPS the correct ones to me, but it wasn't no speedy process, I think it took about a week or so.
Like I said, I didn't let that spoil me on Summit though. However now I am about 10 or 15 minutes from a Jegs store, so I just hop on over there when I need anything.
You'll have to deal with idiots where ever you go, so you can't hold that against the whole company.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:03 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I have posted this before but I am 100% pro summit. I have ordered many parts through their online catalog. Not too long ago I posted about the dissatisfaction I had with MSD. Summit took back two MSD distributors, payed for the return of both of them, and after not being satisfied with either MSD distributor they sent me a Mallory Unilite to try (which I kept ) and refunded me the difference.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Twin Turbo Drag Boat

Last journal entry: Random In Progress Shots

I have ordered from all of them.

Summit will give you problems returning parts because you are not satisfied with them.

This happened to me recently. He said I could not return it for that reason. I said OK then it is defective. He got pissed and gave me to customer service to arrange the return.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

I hate summit, Jegs is way better. Unfortunately the west coast summit store is in Reno which is about 45 minutes from my home town so it is worth it to buy from them to get next day shipping for cheap, or just go pick the stuff up. But, they have to rudest, least knowlegable people there, plus it is almost half import stuff now.
One example, I bought a carb and ended up needing a different one. It was still in the box, never opened with the reciept. When I took it back, they looked through and said that some parts were missing. I asked them how I could have gotten those parts out with out disturbing the shrink wrap. They persisted to waste my time for about 25 more minutes before agreeing to take it back under the condition I would pay a 25% restocking fee!!! thats $40 (actually it was about 38 bucks) F-ing dollars!! Anyway, I took it over to the cashier got my $160 back, then took the carb back over to the parts return counter, set it down on the counter and slid it off onto the floor and walked out. My dad still buys stuff from them, but I won't.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

I have seen Summit take back items that were very obviously installed incorrectly or even modified and not question the customer. I would buy from them anytime.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

You haven't been to the Reno store then
Old 12-06-2002, 11:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Drgnwgn - you are suffering from a local problem of a bad store manager. Summit in general is a very good dompany to deal with. Unfortunately, they have a manager in your town who is doing irreprable damage to their company. Too bad, but you see this every day. I even get hassled at our local Sears store when I take back a broken Craftsman's hand tool. Needless to say, I buy all my tools at Harbor Freight. Quality is fine and when something breaks, they replace it, no questions asked. I suggest you try mail order from Summit. Service is excellent and delivery is very fast. When they advise you that you have a store in your town, tell them about the management. I guarantee, they will change it!
Old 12-06-2002, 11:54 AM
SAE Member, ASE Master Cert.

Wow, I have never heard of anyone having a problem returning a Craftsman tool at Sears. I buy just about all of my hand tools at Sears and have for many years. They are usually very nice about replacing broken stuff.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

My point exactly. A bad store manager can totally destroy the reputation of ANY store. Of course Sears has built their whole tool sales reputation on a no-questions-asked policy, just as Summit has built thiers on super service, great prices, and excellent quality. Unfotunately, your business is only as good as the people you hire as these two examples demonstrate. If they don't promote your policies, those policies don't exist and customers will walk.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

very true willys36, very true
Old 12-06-2002, 03:50 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i am such a tightwad i get everything from summit. BUT they get some of their parts, like for example: harmonic balancers, that have extremely bad quality control (from australia)that i have to wonder about their other products. even tho i know their cams were awesome 5 years ago, who knows if they subbed them out to some morons? makes me have to wonder, but as far as name brand stuff haven't had any problems. i am from reno, MY home town, but i moved right when their store opened up so dont have any experience with it but know alot of the counter guys from Super Shops went over there when they closed up @ the same time, and they were very smart and polite so i dunno whassup their mgrs BUTT! if i got any grief trying to return a part in an obviously unopened box counter boy's mgr would getta size 10 anna half right up his asteroid.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.