Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Summit Racing Paint
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 05:01 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
That's just a guess off of the top of my head, but 0.5 reduce, 1 part hardener / activator and 4 parts paint is right.

I hear that. I'm in the process of actually sanding these panels and I'm going to spray an over reduced coat so it'll lay out like glass. I'm just being very picky about how this paint job is turning out.
Whoah there . I would definitely NOT spray any over reduced paint . Over reducing paint will reduce its gloss . When I was in the paint and body business , nobody in our county could match my paint jobs on gloss . It wasn't anything magical, I just mixed my paint exactly according to manufacturers recommendations and always sprayed my second and third coats right on top of each other to let them flow together . All the other shops in the county over-reduced their paint to make it flow . I know , I was friends with most of them and was around on more than one occasion when they painted a car. Eveyone wanted to know how I got my paint so shiny . I used catalyzed acrylic enamel back then . I was not about to tell anyone my method . I hesitate to call it a secret, but it was different than what the rest of the shops did. So now I have shared this with you . DO NOT over-reduce your paint . You will NOT be happy with the end result . If you want it ultra smooth then let it dry for a couple of days and then color sand with 2000 grit and then buff and polish . It will be flawless afterwards . Mine is smooth and flawless other than the aforementioned fisheyes from my compressor spitting oil . I use a disposeable filter from Harbor Freight at the gun now .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HENRY -WVSP APPROVED VERSION 006.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	48872