Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Summit Racing Paint
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Whoah there . I would definitely NOT spray any over reduced paint . Over reducing paint will reduce its gloss . When I was in the paint and body business , nobody in our county could match my paint jobs on gloss . It wasn't anything magical, I just mixed my paint exactly according to manufacturers recommendations and always sprayed my second and third coats right on top of each other to let them flow together . All the other shops in the county over-reduced their paint to make it flow . I know , I was friends with most of them and was around on more than one occasion when they painted a car. Eveyone wanted to know how I got my paint so shiny . I used catalyzed acrylic enamel back then . I was not about to tell anyone my method . I hesitate to call it a secret, but it was different than what the rest of the shops did. So now I have shared this with you . DO NOT over-reduce your paint . You will NOT be happy with the end result . If you want it ultra smooth then let it dry for a couple of days and then color sand with 2000 grit and then buff and polish . It will be flawless afterwards . Mine is smooth and flawless other than the aforementioned fisheyes from my compressor spitting oil . I use a disposeable filter from Harbor Freight at the gun now .

Thanks for the advice! I was actually referring to an over reduced coat of clear. I've been spraying the car with two coats single stage followed by two coats clear. I didn't get to the clear with the black parts yet cause I need to sand out a run. After the two coats of clear I'm sanding with 400 grit and was going to lay down a coat of clear that's reduced about 4:1:1. So, not very reduced.

Does this not sound like a good plan? I didn't want to cut and buff cause I would have to buy the supplies and money is tight right now, but I may just have to pony up and cut and buff to get the results I'm after doing the "flow coat" method.