Summit Racing Paint - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 03:17 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I almost forgot the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ax4fGf0F9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEPALNDafsI

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

That's just a guess off of the top of my head, but 0.5 reduce, 1 part hardener / activator and 4 parts paint is right.

I hear that. I'm in the process of actually sanding these panels and I'm going to spray an over reduced coat so it'll lay out like glass. I'm just being very picky about how this paint job is turning out.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

BTW, this brand of paint covers very well. Notice the overspray on the wood stands I made as well as the plastic masking off the car.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Is that a mustang I see in the reflection off of the orange fender?? lol...
Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
That's just a guess off of the top of my head, but 0.5 reduce, 1 part hardener / activator and 4 parts paint is right.

I hear that. I'm in the process of actually sanding these panels and I'm going to spray an over reduced coat so it'll lay out like glass. I'm just being very picky about how this paint job is turning out.
Whoah there . I would definitely NOT spray any over reduced paint . Over reducing paint will reduce its gloss . When I was in the paint and body business , nobody in our county could match my paint jobs on gloss . It wasn't anything magical, I just mixed my paint exactly according to manufacturers recommendations and always sprayed my second and third coats right on top of each other to let them flow together . All the other shops in the county over-reduced their paint to make it flow . I know , I was friends with most of them and was around on more than one occasion when they painted a car. Eveyone wanted to know how I got my paint so shiny . I used catalyzed acrylic enamel back then . I was not about to tell anyone my method . I hesitate to call it a secret, but it was different than what the rest of the shops did. So now I have shared this with you . DO NOT over-reduce your paint . You will NOT be happy with the end result . If you want it ultra smooth then let it dry for a couple of days and then color sand with 2000 grit and then buff and polish . It will be flawless afterwards . Mine is smooth and flawless other than the aforementioned fisheyes from my compressor spitting oil . I use a disposeable filter from Harbor Freight at the gun now .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HENRY -WVSP APPROVED VERSION 006.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	48872  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip_127
Is that a mustang I see in the reflection off of the orange fender?? lol...

LOL, yeah! It's my wife's. She actually needs some rear fender repair where her brother bumped her.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Whoah there . I would definitely NOT spray any over reduced paint . Over reducing paint will reduce its gloss . When I was in the paint and body business , nobody in our county could match my paint jobs on gloss . It wasn't anything magical, I just mixed my paint exactly according to manufacturers recommendations and always sprayed my second and third coats right on top of each other to let them flow together . All the other shops in the county over-reduced their paint to make it flow . I know , I was friends with most of them and was around on more than one occasion when they painted a car. Eveyone wanted to know how I got my paint so shiny . I used catalyzed acrylic enamel back then . I was not about to tell anyone my method . I hesitate to call it a secret, but it was different than what the rest of the shops did. So now I have shared this with you . DO NOT over-reduce your paint . You will NOT be happy with the end result . If you want it ultra smooth then let it dry for a couple of days and then color sand with 2000 grit and then buff and polish . It will be flawless afterwards . Mine is smooth and flawless other than the aforementioned fisheyes from my compressor spitting oil . I use a disposeable filter from Harbor Freight at the gun now .

Thanks for the advice! I was actually referring to an over reduced coat of clear. I've been spraying the car with two coats single stage followed by two coats clear. I didn't get to the clear with the black parts yet cause I need to sand out a run. After the two coats of clear I'm sanding with 400 grit and was going to lay down a coat of clear that's reduced about 4:1:1. So, not very reduced.

Does this not sound like a good plan? I didn't want to cut and buff cause I would have to buy the supplies and money is tight right now, but I may just have to pony up and cut and buff to get the results I'm after doing the "flow coat" method.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:15 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I was actually referring to an over reduced coat of clear. I've been spraying the car with two coats single stage followed by two coats clear. I didn't get to the clear with the black parts yet cause I need to sand out a run. After the two coats of clear I'm sanding with 400 grit and was going to lay down a coat of clear that's reduced about 4:1:1. So, not very reduced.

Does this not sound like a good plan? I didn't want to cut and buff cause I would have to buy the supplies and money is tight right now, but I may just have to pony up and cut and buff to get the results I'm after doing the "flow coat" method.
I would NOT over reduce anything . The clear coat could get hazy . Just bite the bullet and get an air powered polishing kit from Harbor freight (about $30) and I got my qt. bottles of buffing and polishing compound from NAPA . Not cheap . $15 for the buffing and $23 for the polishing .
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again. I got that idea from other painters. Also, Summit Racing's "Ultimate Paint Job" guide refers to this method. See attached. I understand what you mean about the clear becoming hazy.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...aint%20job.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 10.png (133.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 10-13-2010, 07:20 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Thanks again. I got that idea from other painters. Also, Summit Racing's "Ultimate Paint Job" guide refers to this method. See attached. I understand what you mean about the clear becoming hazy.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...aint%20job.pdf
Thanks for the links . It is their product so they ought to know what will work . Since they recomend that process it ought to be okay . As I might have said , most of my experience was with activated acrylic enamel and I just have to go by that . It may be that over-reduction is okay with activated acrylic urethane . I can still see the other guys over reduced paint jobs that would not hold a shine after just a couple of months and mine were still holding a shine years later without ever having been waxed . The last car that I painted was for myself in 1985 and it was still shiny in 1997 when I sold it and it was the first car I painted with activated acrylic urethane .
Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for sharing you experience. I'm going to call Summit and find out what they consider over reduced.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
.......... DO NOT over-reduce your paint . You will NOT be happy with the end result . If you want it ultra smooth then let it dry for a couple of days and then color sand with 2000 grit and then buff and polish . It will be flawless afterwards ............
I agree with Adantessr on this. Over reducing will make the paint lay
out smoother, but not necessarily glossier. To get lots of gloss, the
clear resin in the paint needs to rise to the top of the film, and the
pigmented solids sink to the bottom. Too much reducer hinders this
effect. It's best to do it as described above......
Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

are yall serious ?????

and summit has no paint tech. call kirker .
Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
are yall serious ?????

and summit has no paint tech. call kirker .
Just sharin' my experience . Don't claim to be an expert .
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

I just got off the phone with their paint tech.

I asked him what they would consider an over reduction for a "flow coat". He said it's all preference, but normal reduction would be 4:1:1 (paint, activator, reducer). Over reduction would be 4:1:1.5. He also mentioned you would make your clear passes fast with the over reduced flow coat. If you get a run, don't worry. Sand it out and lay another coat.

I also asked him whom manufactures their paint. Is it Kirker? He said, "They get their paint from a sourced out manufacturer who's been making paint for over 150 years. People have been making guesses from PPG, Kirker, Sherwin William's, etc. I can't tell you who it is though."

Seemed like a nice guy and knew his stuff.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.