Hot Rod Forum banner

Summit Racing Tripple Two Barrel

5K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Northstar T 
#1 ·
I have been going back and forth deciding if I want to try this three deuce set up on my 383 stroker.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csum1903/overview/

Looks like it would be perfect as far as looks go, but so would Edelbrocks Duel Quad set up..
Not enough to just look cool though, and compared to the Holley 750 on top of the Edelbrock air gap Performer I have now, I might just go backwards in the power department.

Summits tri power set up looks like serious stuff and it should be for the price. Looks like its not set up to run an automatic transmission, if so I'm out, because that's what I have.

Has any one tried this set up? I sent an inquiry to Summit a while ago asking them if this set up will fly running an automatic.

#2 ·
Wow, Pricey for sure. Years ago I had 31 Chevy sedan with 3 2bbl Rochesters on an Offenhauser manifold, set up with progressive linkage. I swapped a single 4 bbl and manifold for the setup Had plenty of power and got 20 mpg if I kept my foot out of it. It sure looked neat on top that small block. I am sure you could find a similar setup today for a lot lees than half the price of the Summit. Mine was automatic also with a pretty stout hydraulic cam.

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
It will require a small distributer and still be almost as tall or taller than a tunnel ram and not make the same power.

Has the car arrived. You need to measure your hood clearence before you buy anything. And no these will not make the power your current setup does. If you wanted to make a change a victor single plane would be the correct direction. With those little two barrels it would be alot of problems over the current setup and less power.

If you want real gasser power plant there is only one option all the old fast gassers ran hilborns!!

This is what your looking for.

Hilborn Fuel Injectors

Certainly something to consider. Looks like around $5.000 once you buy the EFI kit you need with it. Not sure about sensor mounting and how that would work, but that's what learning is all about. Thank you.

#6 ·
I wouldn't spend the money for a new tri power setup today, but back in the late 60s I had a very stout 55 chev 327 that had just about every intake combination you can imagine on it at one time or another. dual quads, 6 deuce, single 4, dual quad cross ram, and tri power. I always felt the tri power was the best all around running, but the cross ram was very close, except for fuel milage, and sure looked cool, so it stayed on the longest. if I had the car back today it would get the cross ram, milage be durned.

Russ

#8 ·
I had real good luck on my old 64 Impala SS. Had a 300 horse 327 and 4 speed manual. Stock single four barrel. It ran very well, as it was. I found a stock Corvette tri-power intake and Rochester two barrels. The 327 loved it, ran almost 80 mph on the middle two barrel and you could really feel the front and back carbs come in and noticed the feel of the progressive linkage in the gas pedal.

I guess those days are over.

#14 ·
You can find a used Edelbrock C357 for a couple hundred bucks.

Heck you can buy a complete 3x2 from speedway for $1300, complete with C357 edelbrock manifold, 3 of speedway's Stromberg 97 clone carbs, air cleaners and red fuel lines to the fuel distribution block (which I believe is also included).
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Three...3&cadevice=c&gclid=CMnbz8TBo8YCFZYXHwodQ0YA1Q

I have no idea if the Speedway "9Super7" carbs are junk or not. About the only thing the summit kit has going for it is the Holley carbs and the ability to light your credit cards on fire so you can boil your ramen noodles over an open flame (since thats about all you'll be able to buy)

According to some corvette peeps; there was some testing done for SBC tri-power but the mixture distribution was finnicky and harder to tune than the Dual Quad setup.

#15 ·
. Yeah, I don't recall any small block tri-power on 'Vettes, but then I don't know every year/model... but you could have easily removed an aftermarket tri-power setup from a 'vette...

. I remember my Dad seeing the tri-power on my '65 Goat and mumbling something about did I know the deal when going to multiple carburetors... but I didn't respond and he never elaborated further... and the setup drove perfectly... I never touched it or had to fix it... the '65 (360 HP) had a higher rise intake than the original '64's (348 HP)...

. That Summit tri-power intake is a peculiar looking piece with the carb.s appearing to be high mounted and I know nothing about it... perhaps Summit could tell you a magazine article where it was tested and evaluated... maybe even comparison dynos done on it...

. I'd still suggest using the dual quad tunnel ram... you'll love it... and the price is much lower...

. A Google search for Summit TriPower does bring up a dyno pdf file and comparison to a 4 bbl. apparently done by Summit.. but few details and spec.s... and, of course, the tripower wins there... an outside test would be better...

#18 ·
How about 3 deuce on a polished tunnel ram? 2gc Rotenchesters with correct bases on the secondaries etc. it was on a friend of mines running SBC Falcon street gasser a couple months ago. I think he wanted 1200 for it. I've left him a message to send me a pic and more info.

Cheers,
Russ

#19 ·
You will most likely go backwards on power, everytime we test one of these and every test I read in the popular press the oh so 60's solution of 3 duces just doesn't make the numbers a good 4bbl does. The 750 Holley a top a Performer RPM is a very good solution not as period looking but makes power.

Bogie

#22 ·
What about a Performer RPM Dual Quad? Its probably the best non-tunnelram multi carb solution for a street smallblock. Yeah its not dead-nuts period correct but the aesthetic is there. Failing that; Id consider a Weiand WCV327 or a Edelbrock C26.

Assuming that GM had the resources to test 3x2's on SBCs (they did); and they tested them (they did with Smokey Yunick)...Theres a reason they they opted NOT to put a 3x2 for the SBC in production. Down on power, fuel distribution issues and finnicky to tune. 3x2 on a SBC is very early stuff like '55-60 or so as an all out performance piece. Plenty of hotrodders held onto them because the performance guys moved on to single 4bbl and dual quads; and used ones became available. They also look very cool which is important LOL
Once GM started putting out factory dual quads over the counter cheap...3x2 was a non starter.

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.