Summit racing urethane activator - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm feeling much better now that I know where and why the Epoxy with black colorant is there for a reason and the reason makes sense. You can either sand all of the gel-coat and prime it with your 2K Primer or spot prime the repair areas sand them along with the gel-coat and apply your paint.

You did a great job by the looks of the Epoxy resin and black, mo doubt the top will look that good or better.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

Believe me there's plenty of flaws, The biggest issue i had was sanding and buffing too much and it caused "holograms" like where you can see the different layers, kinda like the rings in a tree. It looks great on the internet in pictures and pretty good in person unless you look closer. Honestly it's a watercraft, the bottom isn't as visible and is going to get beat up some so i've accepted it. I think i would try a different product next time around for the bottom. Now, the deck and hood are a lot more visible so i'm trying to cover my bases.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It may not be a bad idea to rough up the gel-coat over the whole top surface and apply two coats of 2K over the whole top surface. When that has cured, use some guide coat on the cured primer before you sand. If there are any cracks in the gel-coat that you missed the guide coat will help you find them. If all is Okay, go ahead and apply the paint.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

I had planned on spraying at least a coat of primer all over the whole hood and deck. I should sand everything like with 400 or 600, then primer? I believe there is at least another crack but it is in the footwell. I wasn't sure if it would cause an issue later. Also, what's good to mask off the craft with?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

You could sand the top with 320 if your going to prime the entire top. Finish sanding in 400 after the Primer has cured. It's a good idea to repair all cracks before you prime, hopefully the one in the footwell is the last one, if not, the use of guide coat over the Primer will let you know, you could spot repair any other cracks as you see fit. Paint will actually accentuate any cracks...so it's a good idea to fill ever and repair everything you can before paint.

Use a poly coated masking paper available at any auto body supply store. Don't use cheap Home Depot masking tape, get proper automotive tape. It'll save you time, money and aggravation in the long run.

Ray
Old 04-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

Is red scotch brite pad enough to scuff gel coat, before shooting the primer? If not, what should i use to sand. It's basically all complex curves.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Red scotch brite will work for scuffing gel-coat, just make sure that you really go over the surfaces well, No shiny spots and you'll be fine.

Ray
Old 04-21-2013, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

the only question i have to that is, alot of the surface well mostly all of it isn't shiny any more from oxidation? sun fading.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The proper way to repaint this would be to take the existing oxidized paint off, to strip it. Often, when paint has deteriorated from oxidization the existing paint powders off quite easily. Try to take off as much paint as you can, leaving the original gel coat and prime over top of that...this way your substrate will be uniform and have the adhesion qualities your looking for.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 AM

Last photo:

it is original gel coat, it's just sun faded and rough
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Gel coat is pretty tough stuff...rough it up as best you can, use the red scotch brite in areas that paper is hard to use and prime it. The colored gel coat is going to sand chaulky, prime let it set up prep and paint. If it was paint that was faded, it's a totally different animal than gel coat.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Ok, one more thing. What grit sanding scratches can i expect urethane primer to fill? 320? 220?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

What brand of Urethane primer and is it a 2 part primer? Two medium wet coats of 2K Urethane Primer should cover 220 grit scratches on on gel coat...make sure your first coat of Urethane flashes real well, that way your going to have most off your 220 sand scratches exposed and will cover on your second coat...for sure.

Ray
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

it's summit's 2k urethane primer
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Then you will be fine with 220 grit paper...it's the older technology single stage lacquer primer that you may have had trouble with...2K primer, OK.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.