Summit's 08600VS Carburetor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Summit's 08600VS Carburetor

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08600VS/

I know have one of these on my Jeep! Its a bit late to ask but what ya think? It looks to be Summit's improvement of the Holley 4010.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Show me the money !

Last photo:

I used the 750 Summit carb on my 400 and I am happy with it. a little hesitation ( to be expected ) but Yeah it acts like my holley did. You can't ask more than that for the price. Time will tell.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue84JeepCJ7
It looks to be Summit's improvement of the Holley 4010.
Are those sight plugs? The Holley I had didn't have those if they are.

The one I had was when the very first came out, a buddy got it for his Pontiac 400, w a medium cam, 3.73, TH350, a good street engine.

He liked it OK, but when it came time to tune it, he liked to have **** when he priced the booster cluster that has to be replaced to change the squirter size!

He did it anyway, and drove w/it until his desire for a lower ET got the best of him and he bought a Holley 4778 DP 700 cfm carb to replace it with.

So I ended up w/the 4010 in trade for some (more) work. I bolted it to my fresh 455 Pontiac engine for breaking it in- I knew it was in great shape and would light my new engine right up.

It actually stayed on the 455 for a couple months, through several drag strip Wednesday nights, and it did good- EXCEPT (isn't there always an "except") the carb bogged badly the first run of the night.

After the drive from the other side of the county (about a 30-40 min. trip), I'd get in line w/the engine off and push it forward as the cars ahead made their pass. By the time I'd get to the "on deck" point, I'd fire it back up and go through the routine. It wouldn't hesitate one bit through the burnout and staging process, but at the hit of the throttle, it would come out about 20 feet then lay down like a tired bloodhound.

It never stalled, but damn close- and if not for feathering it, it might have. But after the first run, it wouldn't do it again for the rest of the night.

The only thing I can figure is heat soak still got to it even though I had a blue Holley pump, insulated fuel lines, a wooden spacer under the carb, a scoop sealed to the carb pan built into the filter base and I left the hood open half way while in line.

I never did figure it out.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Kinda funny Cobalt...sorry about laughing at that!!!

Yes, those are sight windows. Right now what I have is a slight "hounddog"...lol... when making a tight turn or pulling into my driveway which has a slight hump, kind of like a speed bump but not as ruff. Would remind me of a float issue. Gonna give it a week or so then take it in if I need to for an adjustment.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.