Hot Rod Forum banner

sun gear drive shell

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jeff L88 
#1 ·
Im rebuilding a 72' GM 350 turbo trans. The drive shell has alot of slop on the sun gear. I measured .030 between the steel thrust plate and the shell. I checked the sun gear teeth for wear, but there good. I bought a manual to get specs. but it didnt go into the sun gear with any detail. It stated that this assembly is usually ok just to check the teeth for wear (which I did) I have no trans. experience but it seems to me that the drive shell should have a tight fit to the sun with no play at all. Is this normal or is the drive shell junk? Its like theres a missing shim or plate. Hopefully some one can give me some insite. Thanks, Paul

#2 ·
I agree with you saying that there is not a spec. for the sun gear/shell. However, It has been my experience that there is always a lot of slop between the snap ring and the shell itself if you hold the gear and try to rock the shell. I don't believe this is very critical. They (GM) do however make two different thicknesses of the sun shell itself, I tend to be partial to the thicker one myself. I don't think you will have any problems. Good Luck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.