Super Charger - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Super Charger

I'd like to know if there is a blower easily adaptable to a 3.1L 6 cyl. GM engine I've got on my 1991 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL. I once read about someone adapting a Garret turbo to a similar engine but it all sounded quite complicated for me. Any simpler ideas about a blower? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 AM

Last photo:

GM put a s/c on the 3.8L in the Buick Riveria and Grand Prix GTP. It might be easier to swap out the motor and ecu from one of those cars.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:52 PM

Thanks Sam. I'll check it out.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

The flat area on top of your stock intake would make a wonderful place to mount an M62.........Make a block off plate to cover the original throttle body hole, and use the one mounted to the blower. Careful positioning would be needed to line up the pulley and you could use the mounting gasket as a pattern to drill bolt holes and cut the openings out.

I have read many posts about how a mass air flow 3100 will take 6-8 lbs of boost without mods to the computer........

I don't think you could get any simpler than that....

I seem to remember an article about a guy doing something real close to what I just described above. ....Maybe it was a car built for the 24 hours of LeMons. I think they have a $500 Dollar limit on car build cost........

What race event had an amount spent on the car that was equal to the year the event was run? In 2012 you could spend $2012 building the car....

I'm thinking it was a Beretta that was built for one of these type of odd ball events.......If I do find it, I'll post it for you.......Dan
Old 12-15-2011, 08:10 AM

Thanks Ohio Dan. Do you mean I'd have to bore holes on the intake manifold to hold the blower? Don't quite get what you mean. On the other hand I've checked those Eaton chargers (Roots M60) and they seem just perfect. How could I get ahold of a video or a diagram just to see how they'd fit? ...How can I reprogram my ECU in case of need?
...Sorry to bother with so many questions...
Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

http://www.angelfire.com/super/ghettoretta/m90/sc.htm

This guy used a tall adapter plate on top of the stock gen 3 intake.

I would mount the blower directly to your upper intake without the added adapter. Your Gen 2 intake is shorter and flatter than the Gen 3. Yes you would need to drill the holes for the mounting bolts, and yes you would need to cut out the hole for the air to pass threw.......Alignment of the belt would be critical..........This is fabrication work that could be done at home in your garage...........You could pay someone to do this simple machine work for you, but costs will add up quick.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Thanks again Ohio Dan! I'll have to study carefully this guy's story. Anyway it seems I'll have to switch to a 3.4L as he did. In such case I might go for a 3.8 and make things somewhat easier. Guess should think this more carerfully.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I did some searching...
link1
discussion on sc'ing the 3400 (pretty much same as the 3100. 3400s have better heads and are of slightly more displacement. Not noted there is that there were about 8 supercharger kits made for Pontiac as they wanted to build a GrandAm GTP, but they didn't have a transmission strong enough to to take the power through GM's testing)

link2
60-degree v6 forums. Guys here live, breathe, etc. these engines. I personally like them myself. I know the 3800 is better, but I like different. Hey, has anyone built a twin trubo straight six 1st gen camaro? Sounds like time for a new thread...
Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 AM

Thanks Chevelle. I checked both links. Got some ideas but still I am now thinking about sticking to my 3.1L There is room on top of the flat admission manif. for an M62 (Ohio Dan's idea) and aligning the pulley doesn't seem so difficult. Will be careful, though. Will also cut the hood to make room and place a scoop (3" high I guess, but need to know actual height of M62) and will use stock air intake (filter n' all). So far, seems so good. Now, remaining problems to deal with could be ECU (same or need reprogramming?) and perhaps with overheating (scoop will cool M62's body,...but will be enough?).

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.