Super clean degreaser review - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
Super clean degreaser review

I haven’t done a lot of restoration of chassis or engines in years and found myself cleaning up my Gran Sports and not a happy camper at all.

I cleaned up the frame over a number of weeks a little at a time. It kicked my ars! I had worked on it a half hour or so at a time and had to clean up after every one of those sessions. I got out there on Saturday early in the morning before it got hot and just figured I would get SOMETHING done and quit. I ended up going all the way thru and finish it because it was such a mess I didn’t want to have to clean up more than one more time.
By the time I was done I never wanted to see another one of those oily, greasy, dirty frames again. If I were rebuilding everything and sending it out for cleaning and painting or powder coating, that would be one thing. But to just “freshen” it up a little, it was a super pain.

I did it with brushes and rags and scrapers of all sorts using some cheap paint thinner being I didn’t have any “solvent” like we used years ago for the job. I couldn’t find the solvent anywhere so I just gave up and used the thinner.

The plastic sheeting I had under the car on the garage floor and it was full of grease and dirt and I had it all over myself and shoes and what not. I know most of you know what I am talking about.

The motor was sitting there on the stand in the driveway and dreaded the thought of doing it too after working a good part of the day on the frame.

I had destroyed my parts cleaning brush so I went over to the local hardware store to pickup one and thought I’d look for solvent there. I found this water-soluble cleaner and thought I would give it a try. THIS STUFF IS AWSOME! Oh my God what a difference. I put it in a spray bottle and sprayed the motor then hosed it off. I thought I needed the plastic sheeting under the motor so I wouldn’t mess up the driveway. But I found that it wasn’t even needed. I just let the grease and cleaner fall on the driveway and then hosed it off without a single stain. I HIGHLY recommend this stuff. Don’t take it for granted being “water-soluble” and not wear gloves. It feels like I have no finger prints like I was using paint stripper or something. Give it respect, or it will likely bite you.

Before:

After about 3 minutes work.

This is another thing, I had bought a brush that looked like this at the parts store. It was SHOT in no time with the bristles all bent and you couldn’t get into tight spots. It was SHOT in no time. I picked up this one at the ACE hardware store and after cleaning some of the frame and all the engine and components it still looks like new. Again, I HIGHLY recommend it. And it was cheaper than the one at the parts store that was in the cheapie tool bin!

Brush http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1292091

Next car I do I am rolling it out in the driveway, covering the car with plastic and spraying the heck out of it with this “Super clean”.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 06:20 PM

I remember doing this on my Monte Carlo years ago.It sure is a messy job.I wasnt married then and still at home with Mom and Dad.My mom yelled at me
every time I came up from the garage for messing up the tub.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

Do not let it sit on a painted surface for any length of time. I have had it cause lifting when used at full strength. Good stuff though if used correctly.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.