Super Red Ram Engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Super Red Ram Engine

I have a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal with a Super Red Ram engine. My mechanic thinks it is a Hemi, but we don't know for sure. It is all original, but we believe that we need to put new Push Rods and probably new Lifters in the motor as the lifters are noisy.

A number of years back, I purchased this car and drove it 997 miles home with no problems. The lifters were noisy then.

I now want to sell this car, but I want to make it quite.

It is all original and the interior is in beautiful condition for this old.

Can someone tell me how I get the engine size so tht I can order the parts from Egge.

Thanks In Advance

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

Dodge's Hemi, introduced in 1953 as the Red Ram.[4]

Dodge introduced the 241 cu in (3.9 L) engine in 1953.[4] Bore was 3.4375inches and stroke was 3.25inches. With a low compression ratio of 7.1:1, the 241 produced 140 bhp (104 kW). This engine is not the same as the Plymouth 241, which had polyspherical, not hemi heads.

The 270 displaced 268 cu in (4.4 L) and was used in the 1955 and 1956 Dodge high-line (premium) vehicles. Bore was 3.625 in (92.1 mm) and stroke was 3.25 in (82.6 mm). It was not the same as the Plymouth 270 poly-head. In the Dodge Coronet, running the same low 7.1:1 compression ratio as the 241, the 270 produced 140 bhp (104 kW). In higher trims like the Dodge Meadowbrook, it ran a 7.5:1 compression ratio and produced 150 bhp (112 kW).

For 1956, Dodge increased the displacement to 315 cu in (5.2 L) with a longer 3.80 in (96.5 mm) stroke and a taller raised-deck block and now with a polyspherical heads—no longer a Hemi. But the optional high-performance D-500 version of this engine had a four-barrel carburetor and a larger valved Dodge hemisherical combustion chambered head. Also, a "race only" package called the D-500-1 or DASH 1 was available with a special aluminum dual four barrel intake that sported a pair of Carter WCFB caburetors similar to the ones on the Chrysler 300B and DeSoto Adventurer. This engine utilized the same cylinders heads as the base D-500 model.

also get the numbers off of the block and use this link

http://www.hothemiheads.com/hemi_inf...engine_id.html
Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

First of all, if your mechanic can't figure out if the car's engine is a Hemi or not...no to offend but, every mechanic should know what Hemi is. The easiest way to tell is if the spark plugs are fed into the head through the center of the valve cover. Chrysler made a number of sizes of the Red Ram ram Hemi..I believe the first year for the Hemi was either 1951 or 52. Some engine sizes where 331, 354...the smallest one, again if I'm correct was the 1953 installed in the Cornet...it was 241 CID.

In 1956, Chrysler/Dodge came out with a Red Ram engine that wasn't a Hemi, it was 315 CID motor...the 2 4 barrel version made 295 HP and less optioned engines of this size made 230 HP. The Hemi for 1956 was 354 CID and with all engine options made 355 HP. In 56 they also came out with a 303 CID engine that produced 240 HP. I'm sure I missed something here, but it's a start.

Again...LOL...if I'm correct, the 392 Hemi didn't hit the streets until 1957.

So if you can check your valve covers to see if the spark plug wire goes through the middle or not, we can narrow things down.

Why change the push rods? Lifters may be all you need...further checking will tell.

Hope this helps

Ray
Old 09-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Matt, my apologies, welcome to the site...I'm not an engine guy, I'm more paint and body, so if my last post doesn't give you all the information possible, that's because I'm going by memory and after all these years on this earth, my human hard drive may be getting a little full...LOL.

I'm sure that with all the knowledge on this site you will be able to narrow down your quest to what size the engine is...I'm sure someone will come on with directions to look for certain numbers and that will tell you for sure of what you have.

Best of luck and enjoy the site.

Ray
Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gentry View Post
I have a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal with a Super Red Ram engine. My mechanic thinks it is a Hemi, but we don't know for sure. It is all original, but we believe that we need to put new Push Rods and probably new Lifters in the motor as the lifters are noisy.

A number of years back, I purchased this car and drove it 997 miles home with no problems. The lifters were noisy then.

I now want to sell this car, but I want to make it quite.

It is all original and the interior is in beautiful condition for this old.

Can someone tell me how I get the engine size so tht I can order the parts from Egge.

Thanks In Advance

Matt
I believe you will find the '56 Super Red Ram is a "Poly" head, not a Hemi head engine. 315 ci, IIRC.

Replacing the lifters w/o also replacing the camshaft is an iffy proposition. The lifter and cam lobe wear together into a non-separable unit; replacing the lifter on a used camshaft will cause accelerated wear in most cases. The accelerated wear can cause the lobe and lifter to wear so much that the lifter fails and the lobe cannot cause the valve to lift enough to allow the engine to run correctly. So consider either replacing the cam and lifters as a set, or to do further research into why the valve train is noisy in the first place.

More on breaking in a cam and lifters is here.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
gonefishin' (11-08-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 PM

Super Red Ram Engine

I looked at the engine just a short time ago and it IS NOT A HEMI. As someone said, the spark plugs should be in the center of the covers.

Tomorrow, we will try and find numbers on the heads to see if the engine size can be determined.

Thanks

Matt
Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If it's the original engine, the displacement is 315 ci. D63-2-3 is what I see for the engine number.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.