Super T-10 bearing retainer question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 10:54 AM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Super T-10 bearing retainer question

I my trans is leaking. I think it is coming from either, or both, gaskets on either side of the bearing retainer plate (one side contacts the main case, the other contacts the tailshaft).

Getting the tailshaft off isn't that big of a deal. I am wondering if it is possible to remove the bearing retainer plate without having to remove the countershaft and all those zillions of needle bearings?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

Yes; but the reverse idlers are going to have to be removed. I would recommend pulling the mainshaft with the midplate attached and inspecting your synchros, sliders. and engagement teeth.

C&M Gearworks in Springfield Missouri can probably help you out if you need parts (417) 862-4455 ask for Chris or Dave, tell them Nate from Auto Gear sent you.

I have a vague dis-assembly description in one of our PDFs I can email you. Or, find a GM Motors Manual from the 70s. T10s from the 57-69 are a little bit different and have some quirks (especially the 1957-63) so if you have one of those, say so and we'll dig a little deeper. That should be a shielded 307 series bearing in the midplate. They're kind of expensive (usually around $50 for an SKF one) In theory you can use a regular 307 series, but warner spec'd that shield for a reason, so if you're driving it a lot, I'd put one back in. If you have trouble finding parts, I can help you

Last edited by AutoGear; 05-13-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

Also; if you are worried about the needles, don't be. There is a caged needle bearing kit for the 1" countershaft T10s and Muncies. Its like $25 bucks; but you literally drop 2 caged bearings in each end of the cluster gear, no spacer rings) and go. Its all we use anymore except under special circumstances
Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 PM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Also; if you are worried about the needles, don't be. There is a caged needle bearing kit for the 1" countershaft T10s and Muncies. Its like $25 bucks; but you literally drop 2 caged bearings in each end of the cluster gear, no spacer rings) and go. Its all we use anymore except under special circumstances
Gee that would have been nice to know a few years ago when I rebuilt this sucker! The trans actually has 0 miles on it. The bearings/synchro's are all new, so I am not worried about that. It has been sitting unused, but I am a novice at hot rodding and that was my first project...I boggered up the gaskets.

So the next question is, is it OK to use silcone (I plan on using Permatex The Right Stuff). I am just concerned that maybe the case/plate/tailshaft is warped and the thin gaskets are not thick enough to work.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:27 PM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Quote:
Yes; but the reverse idlers are going to have to be removed. I would recommend pulling the mainshaft with the midplate attached and inspecting your synchros, sliders. and engagement teeth.

C&M Gearworks in Springfield Missouri can probably help you out if you need parts (417) 862-4455 ask for Chris or Dave, tell them Nate from Auto Gear sent you.

I have a vague dis-assembly description in one of our PDFs I can email you. Or, find a GM Motors Manual from the 70s. T10s from the 57-69 are a little bit different and have some quirks (especially the 1957-63) so if you have one of those, say so and we'll dig a little deeper. That should be a shielded 307 series bearing in the midplate. They're kind of expensive (usually around $50 for an SKF one) In theory you can use a regular 307 series, but warner spec'd that shield for a reason, so if you're driving it a lot, I'd put one back in. If you have trouble finding parts, I can help you
I also have the GM service bulletin from 1974 that goes through the rebuild. Little fuzzy graphics...but I fill in the rest with my imagination!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

I'd use a low expansion RTV. I'll PM you with our service manual.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Quote:
I'd use a low expansion RTV. I'll PM you with our service manual.
I can't thank you enough! You are a top notch guy!

Can you give me a specific brand/type of RTV to use? I am not sure how to validate if it is low expansion or not.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

Loctite 518 for aluminum to aluminum; loctite 5900 for aluminum to aluminum and loctite 242 (blue) if you're going to be in and out of the unit often. Thats from my Loctite Rep.

In the shop we use Valco aluminum colored RTV with their 'tube grip' dispenser. I HIGHLY recommend the Tube Grip if you use a lot of toothpaste type tubes of sealer. You can lay a bead so narrow you can write your name with it in script. Valco is out of Cincinnati and a great company to do business with.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 PM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Quote:
Loctite 518 for aluminum to aluminum; loctite 5900 for aluminum to aluminum and loctite 242 (blue) if you're going to be in and out of the unit often. Thats from my Loctite Rep.

In the shop we use Valco aluminum colored RTV with their 'tube grip' dispenser. I HIGHLY recommend the Tube Grip if you use a lot of toothpaste type tubes of sealer. You can lay a bead so narrow you can write your name with it in script. Valco is out of Cincinnati and a great company to do business with.
I think I found the source of the leak...its a mysterious hole in the tail shaft. Any idea what this is for or what is supposed to go in there? From what I recall in the manuals there is no mention of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0922.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	74001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0923.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	74002  
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

Hmmm I don't remember that hole. There could have been a locating dowel pin in there at some time. Or maybe someone tried to incorporate a vent (if both ball bearings have shields covering between the races on both sides, it should have had a vent). Unless someone else says otherwise here, plug it.
I dont have a T10 extension (tailhousing) handy to look at.

Anyone out there have a T10 tail they can eyeball for me?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 AM
More machine than man

Last photo:

There is a proper vent on the case above the side cover. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the gaskets changed and this hole should be blocked off by the bearing plate retainer gasket. I guess I will fill this in with some sealer. Perhaps it will too difficult to find a proper welch plug. I mic'd the hole and it is about .300" diameter.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:58 PM
More machine than man

Last photo:

I went to GM and looked through some old dusty books. No luck.

I called Richmond Gear and they said there is an alignment dowel pin that is pressed into the bearing retainer plate. That pin locates the tail housing and the case. And NO they don't sell the pin. So I hope maybe I have the pin in with all the zillions of old needle bearings. But even if I find it...how did it fall out in the first place?
Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

GForce sells every part for a T10, but I would try poster Autogear first.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:13 PM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport View Post
GForce sells every part for a T10, but I would try poster Autogear first.
If Richmond Gear doesn't even sell it, and they own the manufacturing rights to the ST-10, then I doubt anyone else would. Even if GForce does sell it, I am sure I would have to buy an entire small parts kit, if I am lucky. More than likely I would have to buy the entire bearing retainer plate. Probably best to make a dowel if I can't find it in my baggie of parts.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

1000043008 Midplate dowel
T10-55 OEM T10 gasket set

G-Force South

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.