Hot Rod Forum banner

Supercharged 3800 swap

33K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Chevrolet4x4s 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of using a sc3800/t5 in the roadster pickup I'm building. Can a FWD supercharged 3800 be used in a rwd application,and if not will a F-body 3800 accept the supercharger? What would be better a mega squirt controller or a factory ecu?
Thanks
Shane

#2 ·
Megasquirt would be better since its a lot easier to tune, you can run a RWD block with the FWD top end to have a boosted RWD 3800, if you look on some camaro forums the guys ahve done just that. Keep in mind you just want the RWD block since the FWD crank, pistons, and rods are all built a little heavier in the boosted applications.

This is a semi-common hotrodded engine and there are PLENTY of parts out there if you look. You won't get the hp per dollar that you would on a typical chevy 350, BUT it would be very different and neat to see at a car show.

#4 ·
The FWD one will work you'll have to use a adaptor plate to mate up with the RWD trans.
Some good sites:
www.fullthrottlev6.com
3800pro.com

I'm 90% sure that would be the only issue. (depeding on your engine bay room that is)
I've turbo charged the RWD F-body 3800's and they hold up very well.
You can use HPTuners to edit the factory ECM for boost. There's no real need to have Megasquirt. I'd pick up a GTP engine from Morad 3800 Parts

I get used GTP manifolds so I can build my forward facing Headers for turbo.
They have complete engines/wire harness ect.. everything you'd need at great prices.
Hope that helps,
Scott~

#5 ·
UR50SLO said:
The FWD one will work you'll have to use a adaptor plate to mate up with the RWD trans.
Some good sites:
www.fullthrottlev6.com
3800pro.com

I'm 90% sure that would be the only issue. (depeding on your engine bay room that is)
I've turbo charged the RWD F-body 3800's and they hold up very well.
You can use HPTuners to edit the factory ECM for boost. There's no real need to have Megasquirt. I'd pick up a GTP engine from Morad 3800 Parts

I get used GTP manifolds so I can build my forward facing Headers for turbo.
They have complete engines/wire harness ect.. everything you'd need at great prices.
Hope that helps,
Scott~
I only recomedn MS because its very user friendly, easy to find help on, and if he ever decide to change hie engine later it will work on almost anything.

#7 ·
GUNTHER19820 said:
with the right adapter plate/bellhousing you can run a FWD motor in a RWD application. I have heard of several people using QUAD4 motors in RWD applications...
Yea, that was done for awhile before the Ecotech came out. htose adapters/bellhousings were pricey! I was thinking of di\oing a Quad 4 in an old project I had, but the cost of the bellhousing made me decide to go a different route.

#9 ·
UR50SLO said:
The FWD 3800 block uses the same narrow bellhousing bolt pattern as the 2.8 liter V6. The 2.8 was used in RWD applications in the S-10 and the F-body cars. you can get RWD 700R4 cases from these cars that will bolt to the FWD 3800 block. No adapter plate is required.

#12 ·
Yea, we all agree on that, its the "60º" bolt pattern. Which is shared by some 3.8L's and some 2.8/3.1/3.4's. The FWD supercharged 3800 never came in a RWD application, and never carried the 60º bolt pattern.

So you coud swap the 3800S block out for a RWD 3.8L and move everythign over to that, or you could run an adapter. Most people do not want to buy two engines and piece them together (though it is done) and would prefer running the adapter.

#13 ·
ap72 said:
Yea, we all agree on that, its the "60º" bolt pattern. Which is shared by some 3.8L's and some 2.8/3.1/3.4's. The FWD supercharged 3800 never came in a RWD application, and never carried the 60º bolt pattern.
I beg to differ. The 3800SC uses the same GM FWD narrow bolt pattern as all other FWD 3800 motors and the 2.8 V6. This same FWD bolt pattern was used on the 2.8 in RWD applications on the S-10 and the F-body. The FWD Northstar uses a very similar bolt pattern with only one hole different. Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators uses the S-10/F-body trans I mentioned above and moves one hole to adapt to the Northstar.

To get this back on topic, the 3800SC swap into RWD cars has been done. The 700R4/4L60 trans bolts up. The biggest problem is that the throttle body sits over the bellhousing and requires a large hole be cut in the firewall. There is a G-body floating around the internet with exactly this swap.

#16 ·
Go for the 3800 Swap, there are plenty of others that have used this engine before and with great results. For tuning help, there are several companies that work with the 3800.

Who wants another Chevy 350/350 combo...........God haven't we seen this combo way too much already..?/?

Sure the Chevy is the easy and cheap way around the problem, it is also BORING< BORING AND did I say it's BORING.

Go for something different, you'll sleep like a baby every night.

#17 ·
The rearmounted throttle body wouldnt be too much of an issue. I'll just add a cowlvent for the air intake if necessary. I saw the northstar mentioned earlier Would this be a better idea than the SC 3800? I'm not dead set on any one engine yet. Transmission WILL be manual however. Fuel economy of high 20s or higher is a definate plus,and the main reason for considering a 6 in the first place.
Shane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.