Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Supercharger Help (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/supercharger-help-18489.html)

scott011422 06-25-2003 07:32 AM

Supercharger Help

Hey all, I could use your help. I'm interested on putting a PowerDyne supercharger on my 327. My problem is that I want my ECU to controll the pulley. IF, If I do not run the supercharger, while it is hooked up to run, What is the airflow like into the engine. I want to re-machine the supercharger to accept an A\C clutch which I will have the ECU run. Basicly it would only run after so much percentage of throttle. Hoping that while I'm just crusing, that my Eco would be better than if it was running all the time. What do you all think. Also, What Psi and compression do you'all suggest if all I want to do is force feed the intake. This will be multi-point fuel injected as well as my daily driver. I was thinking of 9 to 1 and 7 psi??? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Damn spelling mistakes

andybird 06-25-2003 08:23 AM

um, wouldn't it just be easier to run a turbo charger instead, as that's exactly what they do - only come in at high revs?

9:1 with 7psi should be fine, you might be able to go up to 10psi or a friend of mine is running 15psi without any problems on a 289 with stock cam and bottom end @ 9:1 CR

you'll need to re-map the ignition and fuel maps in the computer and you might need a suplementary or bigger injectors

scott011422 06-25-2003 08:44 AM

I don't really know. Basicly I only want the charger running at damn near full throttle. So for daily driving it might not get used at all. But if I race or pass someone or have any reason to ***** and git, The charger will instantly spool up. Basicly running like nitrus, only when I really need it. As far as the injectors go, I'm re-machining my fuel rails to accept those new heavy duty 30lb injectors with the built i nos pasages. Just in case.

gt2betubbed 06-25-2003 08:56 AM

I'm not blower expert, but if the rotors aren't turning with the crank, wouldn't it make the motor work harder since it's going to make them spin just to get air through the charger anyways? I'm not trying to bash your idea, but if you want something like nitrous, why don't you just go get nitrous? It will be cheaper too. Just my 2 cents...

4 Jaw Chuck 06-25-2003 09:30 AM

This question seems to get asked every few months.

Where are you going to find an electric clutch capable of transmitting the torque needed to provide boost? All the electrics clutches I have researched have torque ratings in inch pounds, nowhere near strong enough to generate any kind of boost never mind get a shaft spinning up at 5000 rpm?

The only ones capable have their diameter measured in feet and are not designed to slip for any length of time. You would be far better off using air or oil actuated clutches, but they are still designed to be either off or on, slippage will destroy them very quickly unless you cool them. Your description sure sounds like a perfect fit for a turbocharger, what is wrong with nearly free boost? A blower is a parasitic loss? If it was possilbe with todays electric clutch technology it would have been done already.

Remember Mad Max was just a movie.;)

deuce_454 06-25-2003 02:06 PM

First of all, your request is a shoe-in for Nitrous oxide!!

but if you for some reason detest and loathe NOS then what you are asking is actually prety cheaply done with a turbo, you disconnect the wastegate hose and set the tension so it is forced open at say 20 psi boost, and arround 5 psi with the hose connected (referenced to manifold boost) then you add a small tank holding about 1-2 gallons of water/methanol 50/50 mix and setup a cheap mechanical injection if you only run it at full throttle you wont need the barell valve or bypass jets. then set the mix to recirculate.

then when you push the "WAR EMERGENCY POWER" button a coulpe of 10$solenoids closes the boost reference to the wastegate increasing boost to 20 psi, and reroutes the recirculating MW50 mix from recirculating to either a couple of nosels in the intake plumming or even simpler a NOS plate under your carb, to give you extra fuel and keep detonation at bay.

and presto youve just more than doubled your power with a push of a button

Hollywooding 06-25-2003 05:03 PM

whoa..... Deep

:surprised

Hollywooding :cool

yknot 02-02-2007 03:44 PM

You must have been watching an old re-run of the Mel Gibbson classic, Madd Maxx.

It was pretty cool how they had the blower do the same thing, be activated by an electrical switch, which used what looked like an AC clutch to turn the blower.
i am not sure that bit of movie magic would work in the real world. The blower takes alot of power to turn, and engageing it at such high engine rpm's would surely dissenigrate the clutch. it might very well work at low RPM's ?? Also, I would think you would also have to have a air by-pass, something that would normally be open and allow the air to by-pass the blower, but would close once the blower has turning. That would be very simple to make, weather it would work would be up to you and how much you would want to invest in the system.
I am running a Eaton M112 blower on my 4.6L Ford DOHC Engine. I had it ported and polished, and removed the stock pulley for a more aggressive 2.75" pulley, which should make 14-16 psi. To battle belt slip, I also bought a pulley tensioner relocation system, that moved the tensioner up and just under the blower pulley, so the belt is wraped arround 88% of the pulley or 316 of the 360 available.
What is your thinking on only running the blower part time?? Fuel economy?? Drivability issuse???

CptKaos 02-02-2007 03:48 PM

Mercedes has used electric clutches on super chargers for at least 6 or 8 years.

Larry

scott011422 02-02-2007 04:18 PM

Gosh, This was dug out of the 7th circle of hell wasn't it? At the time I didn't have the room for the turbocharger. And I'm not a huge fan of nitrus. My thinking was more towards the parasitic loss. I was thinking that the loss could be greatly diminished by only operating the supercharger when it was required. Were a few people went off the beaten path a little was that was not to be a roots blower, but a powerdyne blower as said in the first post. Being it already runs off a standard serp belt, I thought it would be a no brainer to remachine the blower to accept the AC clutch. Then i could control when the blower ran and didn't run. Unfortunatly, I never finnished the project due to home and work...aka LIFE. The project was sold off and i'm not sure if it was ever finnished. But I did end up using the ac clutch and the supercharger together. I was able to get some time on a flow bench and saw that 250cfm was the max I could really get out of the non running supercharger without loosing airflow. So I built a 3way piston valve with a 3in ID. Then ran that off an electric solinoid. So Iunder normal driving, the engine was running off of normal air through a 30 degree bend. Then under WOT, or passing, The valve switched over to the supercharger and activated the ac clutch. Both the clutch worked fine as did the valve. But never got everything assembled. Even got the ecu reprogrammed so at 75% throttle the supercharger started up and at 80% the valve switched over to the supercharger.

Like said above, Just making an overly complicated turbo!