Supercharger + programable 6AL-2 timing setup questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Supercharger + programable 6AL-2 timing setup questions

Hello folks! New member here looking for advice. when I do google searches I get a lot of hits on this site for various holley carb info and supercharger info

So here is my setup.

355 with comp NX288HR, Pro-Filer 195 heads topped with a Magnuson MP122 supercharger. I have a Holley 3310 750 that I boost referenced.

For ignition I have a locked out unilite, power filter, ballast resistor and a fully programmable 6AL-2 and a 2 bar map sensor for boost retard. With the map sensor and locked out dizzy the msd box gives me full control of the timing curve and the boost retard and start retard. This is where I start to get confused. The locked out dizzy is set at 34 degrees.

1. I want to set a start retard up to take some strain off the starter. Around what timing should I have it retard too while it is cranking? I was thinking around 24 degrees. At what rpm should I set it to start its climb back all in?

2. Once it starts do I want it to go back to "all in" right away or do I want to setup some kind of curve? This blower has an internal bypass so during idle and cruising it is not under boost. As soon as you punch the throttle it closes and goes to boost.

3. If a curve would be better at what rpm would I want it "all in"? If I setup a curve and it starts building boost before I get to the "all in" rpm then the boost retard will start pulling timing from the timing map that is not already "all in" I assume so im not sure that would be good? At least I think that is how that would work?

4. Or should I just have it go all in as soon as it starts? That way as soon as it starts building boost the boost retard can do its job correctly?

Confusion!!!!!!!!!!! Help a hotrod brother out!

Here is one scenario I came up with. Let me know what you think.

Advertisement

Last edited by ProStreetCamaro; 02-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.