Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Supercharger Roll,detroit Roll,blower Surge???
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Nitro, meat for the beast

Wiki Edits: 0

sticky answer...

This is not a generic answer to a seemingly simple question.
I have had some that surge, some not. My fuel or alky motors did not. That being said, these are purpose built motors with one thing in mind. The idles on those motors are 1200- 1500 rpm respectively, (the 8 cylinder fuel burning engines idle at upwards of 2000 rpm) until they are fattened up just prior to take off.
My gasoline motors have surged at points depending on the jetting/metering setups being used but also rotor speed as well. My oldsmobile surged like hell but it never locked up the converter enough to make my head snap! My Liberator would surge a little but spinning a prop didn't realy translate into much jumping either. Over driven blowers will surge more than its underdriven counterparts. Again, depending on how much of what its being fed the surge may be minimal or drastic.
(is this getting anyone anywhere?)

I guess the missing parts to any equation here is engine size, supercharger size, air/fuel ratio, carburator CFM, pulley sizes and idle speeds. This would help in set-up and diagnostics.
Agree or disagree from the peanut gallery?

Last edited by nitrocorsair; 12-19-2008 at 09:15 AM.